What makes the elephant charge his tusk, in the misty mist or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk?
Courage!
In days gone by, it was about this time of year that we’d be treated to the annual showing of “The Wizard of Oz” on network tv.
But we don’t have to wait for a movie to see examples of how courageous behavior plays out. We can see it in the actions of brave people as they meet the challenges of every day life.
Before we take a look at some of those examples, please indulge me for a moment as I outline a few traits that I believe do NOT equate courage:
- Wallowing in self-pity
- An unwillingness to change when things just aren’t working out
- Constantly relying on others to bail you out of jams
To me, those acts equate a mentality that is more selfish than courageous. I think courage is defined by the willingness to take a risk; to step up at a moment when the easy thing would be to step down. Rugged individualism vs. victimism.
At one of the APR study sessions I attended recently, we heard one of the speakers say that a public relations practitioner offers counsel to senior management on a daily basis. It’s true.
Sometimes the advice is taken; on other occasions it is ignored. Often, the advice of a P.R. pro is not necessarily popular.
You still have to be willing to stand and deliver that advice…even if you are the only person in the room who does so. To do otherwise would be to shirk your professional obligation.
Courage takes many forms.
Lisa and I witnessed such an example last Saturday night when we attended the APAC production of “9 to 5 the musical” in the Wells Auditorium on the FHS campus. I have often marveled at the willingness of young high school performers to put themselves out there in front of a live audience – to sing, to dance, to act.
When Paul first got involved with theatre, I knew nothing about it. Over the years, I began to learn bits and pieces. I never cease to be amazed by the courage of these young performers.
Why else, then, would a young man be willing to don a prosthetic nose as Paul did three years ago when he took on the role of “Cyrano?” Of course, if you know anything about that particular show, the title character is filled with nothing if not a bit of bravado.

Courage takes many forms.
Look at Holly: touring Europe…seeing sights and meeting new people every day. Talk about a wonderful ambassador for our country!
Meanwhile, closer to home, we know a young lady who has faced challenges in her personal life and yet has worked hard to excel in her studies and extracurricular activities. Recently, she has taken the courageous step to move on with her life.
I can’t imagine the guts and guile a young person must have to be able to separate themselves from an unpleasant situation at home. And yet, she took this step.
The young are brave, indeed. I can’t imagine stepping out on the stage, donning a costume, spending a year in Europe or just moving out…at any age.
The next time I feel I need to build up my nerve for a challenging moment, I think I’ll look to these young people – rather than the cowardly lion – for my inspiration.
JG
Originally posted 3/13/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment