I’ve never been much for counting sheep.
I suppose everyone has a personal strategy for falling asleep at night. Mine is making lists.
Long before Dave Letterman made Top 10 lists ‘a thing,’ (and way before announcing his upcoming retirement) my friend Bill Cooke and I would make up our own countdowns. I’ve taken that practice into my nighttime visits with Mr. Sandman. Here’s how it works:
I pick a Top 10 topic - let’s say it is my Top 10 favorite pizzas. As I am getting ready for bed, I organize my thoughts, make the list and then ‘boom,’ it’s countdown time.
- #10 – That hole in the wall place we all liked in San Francisco.
- #9 – The place my friend, Mac, likes with the really thin crust pizza in St. Louis
- #8 – The place I went to that time I was in Racine, Wisconsin.
And so on…
The great thing about my version of counting sheep is that I rarely get all the way to #1 (and if I do I usually have another list ready to go). And if I only get part of the way through the list before dropping off, I can start back at that spot the following night when I want to go catch some zzz.
Some of my favorite bedtime top tens include:
- Best Vacations (We all agree Boston was our family’s tops…so far)
- Favorite Songs (#1 is still “While You See a Chance” by Steve Winwood)
- Anything sports related (favorite World Series, favorite Super Bowls, etc.)
Even though it didn’t turn out our way, I guess the ’96 World Series would definitely make the Top 10 simply because it includes the only World Series game I have attended in person. I was at Game 3 of the ’96 Series (final score Yankees 5 Braves 2).

Anyway, you get the idea.
I suppose sleep is one of those commodities that has a personal touch. We all go about it in our own unique ways.
Generally, I don’t have much trouble falling asleep. And, as I have aged, I have grown to value a good night of sleep. I usually get my seven hours (if not eight).
But, if on some upcoming night I’m having a bit of trouble, I’ve got a time-tested trick ready and waiting for action.
JG
Originally posted 5/14/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment