Saturday, January 28, 2023

Class of '14

Last night, the Farragut High School Class of 2014 graduated at Thompson-Boling Arena on the University of Tennessee campus; some 391 strong. Principal Mike Reynolds said it was a special class.

Indeed it was.

image

As for the ceremony, the speeches were inspired and, as always, the choir - under the Direction of Kenton Deitch - was exquisite.

Lisa and I attended because Paul’s long-term girlfriend, Tori, was one of the graduates. My folks and sister came, too.

Officially, I had ties - DNA ones, I mean - to the Classes of ‘10 and '13 (Holly and Paul, respectively). But in many ways, in my Coach Jeff role, I had almost as much of a connection to the Class of '14. For my last two Chopper teams, a majority of the players came from this year’s group of seniors.

Indeed, eight former Choppers 'walked’ at the FHS commencement ceremonies last night. I clapped for each and every one of them. Once a coach; always a coach.

Coach-proud for them all.

JG

Originally posted 5/18/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...