Last night, Lisa and I attended a nice holiday social event with a small group from our church. The food was festive and the conversation was lively.
We had a nice time.
In the days leading up to the gathering, I had been noticing a number of posts online from people who went to ‘Tacky Christmas Sweater Parties.’ Not wanting to miss out on the trend, I pulled my favorite sweater out of the closet and put it on. I wouldn’t describe it as a ‘tacky sweater’ in the strict definition but it is as close as I can come.
In fact, I like the v-neck a lot. I’m not so sure that Lisa is a big fan.

At any rate, I wore it to the party last night. For the record, I was the only person wearing a sweater (one guy wore a sweater vest). Clearly, this was NOT a “Tacky Christmas Sweater” party!
I like the sweater so much, I wore it today to our office Christmas potluck luncheon. It just felt like the right thing to do.
Tis the season, right?
Maybe someday I need to go to one of the second-hand shoppes and buy myself a REAL tacky one for next year’s party season.
Over the years, we have had the opportunity to go to a number of yuletide gatherings and I always feel like that is another part of the annual holiday tapestry that I continue to write about this month.
Christmas parties are such a fun and festive way to celebrate the season and to share the good times with friends.
The schedule can get out of hand in a hurry, though, if you aren’t careful. One year, in fact, we were invited to three parties on the same night. Unfortunately, we were only able to make it to two of the events.
Last year, the office Christmas party where I used to work conflicted with the final comedy Improv show of the fall semester of Paul’s senior year. I hated to miss the show, but duty called.
Earlier in our careers, when Lisa was a Whittleite, we were treated to some very festive bashes to herald the start of the holiday season. It was fun to be a couple yuppies out for a fun night to celebrate Christmas in the City.
Later, as young parents, Christmas parties included cupcakes and cookies at daycare or, later, at elementary schools (in the days before such things were regulated).
Going further back, one of my fondest memories of times with my high school friends was when we all dressed up – the year after I graduated – and went out to dinner to celebrate. As it turns out, that was probably the last time we were all together before we scattered to go our own ways. I sure wish someone had brought a camera that night and asked the server to take a group picture.
Not to get melancholy, though. Those were good times.
As I recall, however, there were no tacky sweaters that night. No pictures to prove it, though.
JG
Originally posted 12/10/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment