Sunday, January 22, 2023

Canadian Friends

I really enjoyed my time working at Maryville College and if I ever had the opportunity to work there again, I’d do it in an instant.

One of the nicest things about MC is the warm campus community. And as a writer and public relations professional, I was extremely fortunate to have an encyclopedia of wonderful stories to tell - whether I was writing an article, putting together a publication or pitching a story to the media.

I wrote about couples who fell in love during their undergrad years, scholars who devoted their life to teaching in a church-related college environment and young adults who made life-long friendships in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.

The other day, during some of our summer clean-out work, I found some boxes that included some of my MC work samples. One box, in particular, was filled with copies of the college’s alumni publication, FOCUS. These included some of my favorite articles.

I’ve uploaded many of my favorite articles to my personal website, jeffdgary.com. If you’re ever interested in reading them, I invite you to check out the site.

As for the box of publications, I found one edition featuring an article that I wrote about Canadian alumnae who live in the Toronto area.The four ladies had actually gotten together at a park to share their MC experiences. There was also a side bar article that spotlights one of those Canadian ladies who returned to campus for her 25th class reunion.

image

As our Canadian friends celebrate Canada Day 2013, I thought I’d share those two articles with with you. It seems like a fitting tribute to ‘the true North strong and free’ on this day to share some of the thoughts I captured during this interview a few years ago.

I hope you enjoy reading the package. And I hope Canadians enjoy their holiday. I wish everyone a wonderful day of celebration on Canada Day 2013

JG

(Source: cbc.ca)

Originally posted 7/1/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...