Today, at 12:57 p.m. EDT, we officially welcomed the arrival of spring.
I know that scores of winter-weary southerners hailed the change of seasons. It’s not so much that we felt a profound transition at lunchtime today. We just needed a morale boost.
There is something uplifting about the warm sunshine, the lovely sound of songbirds singing in the trees and the burst of color as flowers bloom across our region.

Spring is also a special season for our family, personally, because three of our four family birthdays occur during, or just before, this season and our wedding anniversary is next month.
In spring, there’s March Madness, the start of the upcoming baseball season and the end of another academic year.
All that to say, this time of year has traditionally been great for our family.
Spring, however, is fraught with peril. Beware the Ides of March…and all that.
Last year, our family and friends endured many challenges and obstacles during the second season of the year. I will spare you the details. But, I can tell you that for a second Spring in a row is shaping up the same way.
What is it about this time of year?
Friends and loved ones hospitalized for illness, family struggles and squabbles and young people working hard to find their way. Even restless Roger seems to be out of sorts.
If you are prone to prayer, I might ask you to pray for all these special people; pray for needs known to them.
As it turned out a year ago, we all weathered the storm and 2013 turned out to be a great year for everyone I know. I’m hoping and praying for a similar outcome to challenges of this season. Things are going great for me – I love my job; I love my life. Lisa feels the same. It’s just hard to see so many people you care about going through such rough times.
We made it through the “Long Cold Lonely Winter.” But, before we reach the “Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer,” there is the matter of the hear and now.
Maybe it’s as simple as that old saying, “April Showers Bring May Flowers.” If that’s the, case we’ll all exhale around May 24, celebrate our good fortune and say “Thanks Be to God.”
JG
Originally posted 3/20/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment