Sunday, January 22, 2023

Bright Lights, Big City

Holly had an appointment yesterday at the the French Consulate in Atlanta.  In late September, she’ll be heading out to serve as an Assistant English teacher at a high school academy. In order to work in France, she needs a work Visa.

So, yesterday, we had a whirlwind trip; down and back all in one day.

Driving late at night has never been one of my strong suits. I find the bright lights you encounter on the freeway to be somewhat annoying.

Still, last night, I was able to grind out the first half of the drive home after a long day trip to Atlanta with Holly. Then, we pulled over around the halfway point and I let her take us the rest of the way home. 

At the Tennessee Welcome Center, we took a quick break and then switched seats.

I took a couple photos of headlights and street lights on the interstate to illustrate my original point once she started driving. 

image

Folks who text and drive (or fidget with their phone in general) are about as unsafe as drunk drivers and you know what happens to them.

image

So, in the interest of safety, we divided the driving and began the trip home after a long and eventful day. And I took my pics once she was behind the wheel and we especially enjoyed the next couple of hours.

Nice nighttime road trips can be fun. Something about the night - and the lights - sets a great mood.

We listened to some great music. Holly is masterful at making good mix CDs. We listened to two of her compilations last night.

And with the music as our soundtrack, we had great talks. We discussed some of the topics that are top-of-mind for us these days:

  • Her upcoming trip to France 
  • The family history research we’ve been doing
  • The events of the day

It was a really nice time. 

Knowing that she’ll soon be flying from the nest again, I’m glad we were able to spend the day - and evening - chatting and bonding. It’s good stuff. 

More than anything, I hope she saw yesterday as an investment. Spending the day as we did was sort of a validation of the great experience she is about to have. 

Oh, and we enjoyed a yummy dinner. That’s one of the many advantages of spending time in the big city.

JG

Originally posted 8/28/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...