I found myself on the University of Tennessee campus the other day.
Other than some visits to the Communications Building and some trips for football and basketball games, this was my first real extended visit to campus in quite a while. I didn’t even make the college visit when Holly toured as a high school senior three years ago and they’ve done quite a bit of work since then.
You can do a lot in three years.
The University has unveiled a new slogan recently called Big Orange. Big Ideas. When you step inside some of the facilities, you get a feel for how that slogan has played out (at least in terms of classrooms and technology). I was in the Education Building and the Business Building first. They are so modern now with futuristic technology and 21st Century décor. In the Business Building, I was drawn to one room with huge television screens. It reminded me of something out of a science fiction film.
Even buildings on ‘The Hill,’ which frame venerable Ayres Hall, have all been modernized.

In and around campus, there are also signs alerting you to the fact there is much construction going on. For one thing, construction on the Haslam Music Building is ongoing as well as work on the new University Center. A sign featuring Smokey, the mascot (wearing a hard hat) tells you that you have entered ‘The Cone Zone.’

We tend to think of our college years in sepia tones. I met my future wife as an undergraduate student. Later, in grad school, I met some great friends and extended my learning. I even played a little softball. Later, I taught in the Journalism program as an adjunct. Throughout that period, nothing really changed.
And really, it wasn’t that long ago.
I think the campus must’ve crept along with the self-same look and feel for all my undergraduate and graduate years (and for a while afterward). But in the past five years, they’ve really kicked the change element into high gear.
Big Ideas.
In short, the place looks great. It has a modern feel to it and there were lots of excited young students who seemed passionate about learning and guided by mentors who were equally engaged with interactive white boards and touchpads.
There was a buzz about the place. I went away feeling good about my alma mater – where it is and where it’s going.
If that is what the administrators mean when they say ‘Big Orange. Big Ideas,’ then I say ‘Bravo.’ Things are looking good in the hallowed halls of ol’ UT.
JG
Originally posted 3/6/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment