Holly is in France even as we speak. I hope she’s getting some well-deserved and much-needed rest right now after a long and taxing travel day.
Lisa and I helped Holly take care of the myriad last minute details yesterday as time for her flight neared. By late morning, we piled into the Jeep – along with Holly’s rolling suitcase and carry on – and got on the road to Atlanta.
Holly’s Air France/Delta flight was set to take off around 5:50. We traversed the always arduous Atlanta traffic on a somewhat dreary day and got her to the appointed spot just on time.

We hugged her and said “Au Revoir.” Then, Lisa and I watched as Holly made her way through security headed toward the plane. At that point, Lisa and I had dinner and made the now-familiar drive back up I-75 to a much quieter home.
There might be a small twinge of sadness for us but there’s tons more joy and excitement. The thing is: parents raise their little ones to fly from the nest. Anything less would be unnatural.
This was a pretty big flight out of the nest, yes, but it is a great opportunity too; a chance for Holly to really spread her wings.
She’s not sure what post-Europe chapter of her life might look like. It could be teaching? Maybe. Maybe not. This experience in the classroom will let her try that on for size. Her time in France should set the stage for whatever that chapter might be.
Meanwhile, she gets to explore the world, meet new friends, see new places and embark on a wonderful eight month adventure.
What a wonderful opportunity for her to say, “Allons-y!”
JG
Originally posted 9/26/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment