Saturday, January 28, 2023

31 Days of May

Today is the last edition of Coach Jeff’s Blog for May 2014. I know I have told you on many occasions that May is my favorite month.

Sometimes I clarify and say ‘my favorite NON holidays month.’ In either case, May is special to me.

So, as we turn the page on May to June, I wanted to take a moment to look back at some special Mays of the past. A few years ago, I found a treasure trove of past journals of mine from the 1980s. The journals are full of fun and interesting references to days of old; lots of notations about friends and family who are (and were then) very special to me.

I always enjoy re-reading through these books.

For the purposes of today’s posting, I went through the 80s journals again. I paid particular attention to the month of May in each edition.

Here is a look back at 31 days of May - 80s style, featuring me with the Peter Brady hairstyle. Below are 31 special references to life from a much simpler time. Here goes:

 

image

May 1 (1986) – After graduating in December and concluding a three-month job hunt, I started my first professional job. I was named editor of the Appalachian Observer News newspaper in Clinton.

May 2 (1989) – My first day on my new job as publications director for East Tennessee Children’s Hospital

May 3 (1983) – I celebrated with my (then) girlfriend, Amy, as we had our 50th date. For some reason – maybe funds – we went to Pizza Hut.

May 4 (1981) – I received an official ‘yes’ from my date to the FHS prom, Terri, when I asked if she would go with me.

May 5 (1987) – Wouldn’t be a Coach Jeff’s Blog without a baseball reference. While covering sports for the Union County Neighbor, I enjoyed covering the Horace Maynard vs. Seymour high school baseball game. HMHS shut out Seymour 4-0 that day.

May 6 (1984) – Memphis relatives came to town for a visit and my folks played host for a few enjoyable days,

May 7 (1988) – Lisa and I spent a full day outside tending to our vegetable garden.

May 8 (1986) – Less than a week after I signed on, Lisa was also hired to work for the Appalachian Observer in Clinton.

May 9 (1989) – A week into my new job at ETCH, I had my second round of orientation and an official tour of the department.

May 10 (1986) – A friends’ (couples) night out, including dinner at Fuddrucker’s.

May 11 (1982) – Preparing for registration for the Fall 1982 quarter at UT, I attended an advising session with my advisor, Dr. Paul Ashdown.

May 12 (1981) – Plans for a post-graduation beach roadtrip were officially nixed as too many of the participants bailed out because of funding issues.

May 13 (1984) – I enjoyed a long distance phone call from my Memphis friend, Susan.

May 14 (1985) – Lisa and I met my dad, downtown, for lunch. Meeting him for lunch meant EITHER a visit to Arby’s OR a near-by Mexican place called Sancho’s. My notes didn’t indicate which eatery we visited.

May 15 (1981) – In a bit of foreshadowing to my, later, theatre parent status, I attended an Admiral’s Performing Arts Company (APAC) performance of “Oklahoma” in the Wells Auditorium on the FHS campus.

May 16 (1982) – I went on an overnight camping trip with friends.

May 17 (1987) – It was not yet Paul’s birthday, but still I celebrated. A bunch of my friends got together for a Sunday afternoon softball game. This was also foreshadowing for my Phud’s days a few years later.

May 18 (1985) – Lisa and I went shopping…for a ring. (And we bought it).

May 19 (1989) – Lisa and I (and friends) attended the annual Greek Fest (at St. George Orthodox Church).

May 20 (1982) – One of my favorite early morning activities with my friend, Bobby Brooks…we made a ‘biscuit run’ (which usually involved a trip to Hardee’s for a steak biscuit).

May 21 (1983) – It was the senior prom for my girlfriend, Amy. I served as her date.

May 22 (1982) – I attended a fraternity party at Phi Kappa Psi.

May 23 (1981) – I attended the FHS senior prom. My friend, Wayne, and I double-dated.  His date was Deedra and as noted earlier, I went with Terri. There, we also ran into my best friend, Ed.

May 24 (1984) - My friends Bill, Steve and Larry took me out to dinner to celebrate my 21st birthday.

May 25 (1986) – A bunch of friends took me out for a birthday celebration lunch. 

May 26 (1983) – A bunch of friends, including Bob, Bobby and Rob, got together for evening basketball as we often did in those days.

May 27 (1989) – A bunch of friends went to Opryland as our friend and neighbor, Billy, left town to move to Dallas. After our day in Nashville, we returned to East TN while he headed on for TX.

May 28 (1988) – My sister, Lisa’s, high school graduation.

May 29  (1988) – A group get-together, to celebrate birthdays. The highlight of the evening, apparently, was a spirited game of croquet.

May 30 (1987) – Lisa and I had an outing with my best man, Steve Martin, and his wife Robin.

May 31 (1985) – Lisa and I spent six hours in her dad’s darkroom as we were printing B/W photos for our final project in photography class.

So there you have it…31 references to the month of May from the 1980s. I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my time capsule. Who knows? Maybe I’ll pick another month and some point in the future and do this again.

One of the biggest goals, for me, in writing Coach Jeff’s Blog is to have fun. Today, I had a lot of fun!

JG

Originally posted 5/29/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...