Monday, August 9, 2021

What do we make of November?

At the stroke of midnight, we’ll say goodbye to November 2012. It’s been a busy month.

Nationally, we re-elected a President; in the state, we re-elected a Senator and nine Congressmen. 

Locally, we fired a football coach and are looking for a new one. Rumors (or should I say ‘Grumors’ run rampant on the topic).

Personally, we celebrated my dad’s birthday, Holly’s impending spring graduation plans, Paul’s college search and two roles he’ll have for upcoming FHS productions - the spring musical as well as a one-act competition piece. Also, he and I went to our annual Titans game

image

and Holly went to the UT-Mizzou game.

You might remember that day. We had an earthquake. Then, the football team had a meltdown and lost a game in which they held a substantial lead. And, within a few weeks, the aforementioned coaching change was underway.

And all across America this month, we celebrated Veteran’s Day and, a couple weeks later, Thanksgiving (and Black Friday, and Cyber Monday and…).

Oh, and did I mention, I know a few folks who had birthdays earlier this week?

Like I said, it was a busy month.

I have always liked November, but it seems like it is overshadowed by its neighbors on the calendar.

If you ask a lot of people their favorite season of the year – mine included – they’ll tell you ‘fall.’

image

And when you probe a bit further, you realize folks associate autumn with October. There are football games and Octoberfest celebrations and then, of course, Halloween.

You’ve heard of “The Hunt for Red October.” (Or, merely, the Hunt For October). And speaking of which, Reggie Jackson was known as “Mr. October.” Even September was popularized with songs like “September Morn,” “Wake Me Up When September Ends,” and, of course, just plain “September.”

There are no November songs that I can think of. No November sports heroes. No November movies.

On the other side of November, there is December and, of course, it needs no introduction.

What then do we make of November?

Is it the ‘quiet’ month in the same way George Harrison was the ‘quiet’ Beatle? Is it the ‘forgotten’ month? Does November have an identity crisis?

In any case, November 2012 fades away tonight and tomorrow we welcome December. Goodbye and thanks, November. You weren’t particularly glamorous but you served us well!

JG

Originally posted 11/30/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...