Monday, August 9, 2021

…to send the very best!

Lisa’s Birthday is today and I want to take this opportunity here in the blog to wish her a very Happy Birthday.

Many of you have also taken the time over the last six weeks to join in an ongoing celebration to mark her birthday. Starting on January 1 and going through today, friends and family, classmates and co-workers have been reaching out to wish her a Happy Birthday.

I passed the word to many folks that my goal was to collect 50 birthday cards and to give her each one of the cards over the span of 50 days: 50 cards for 50 days. I sent word in mid-December so I could start giving her cards on January 1.

image

The 50 cards started innocently enough as I left a card for her from her dad. On January 2, I left a card from one of our former professors who served as a great mentor in both of our lives and is a dear friend. From there, the 50 cards celebration took off.

She received cards from both of her sisters, my sister, all of the brothers-in-law, each niece and nephew as well as her uncle, her aunt, one of my cousins and my folks.

From friends, she heard from a number of her childhood chums and high school classmates. She received cards from some families from our baseball years and many of the friends she has met through FHS theatre. She received cards from a couple former students and a couple former professors as well as co-workers from the past and present and friends from her May Moms group.

In short, it was a true cross-section of her life.

When I began this celebration, I really wanted to do something unique to mark this special occasion. One of the goals was to show her how many people care for her and how much love there is for her from friends and family far and wide.

I think she felt that.

I also wanted to show her that we – me and the kids – wanted to do something special for her. And I wanted the focus to be on her and not us.

I hope and feel that is the case as well.

When I started this celebration, I had no idea how it would go. I feel it was a true success and exceeded my expectations. I know she appreciated what we tried to do.

For all of you folks who sent in a card or, if you weren’t able to send a card but sent your well-wishes, I’d like to say thank you and I know she thanks you, too.

JG

Originally posted 2/17/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...