I’m not sure what it is but the sound of water falling has always been soothing to me.
It is such a universally pleasant sound and that is why it is included in white noise machines and those silly ‘fake rain window’ devices like the producers of the show ‘Friends’ used in the iconic scene when Joey and Chandler were temporarily not roommates and were sad to be alone.
Anyway, the sound is nice.
Last night, I started to get drowsy when I heard the shower running; this morning I awoke to the rhythm of the falling rain.
When I was a little shaver, I used to love to ride in the back seat of my dad’s 1966 Mustang and hear the pinging din as the rain gently fell onto the roof. The combination of that and my folks’ conversation served as a pleasant lullaby to a little guy. Other aquatic melodies from childhood – such as washing machines and dishwashers – also have had a similar effect over the years.
Maybe this is why don’t mind doing those two chores?

I wonder if this love of water sounds is imbedded in the family DNA. I told you about our ancestor – Arthur Gary – who first made the Atlantic crossing. Scores of Gary gentlemen made their livings on the farm but also spent time on the water. My grandfather worked, for years, on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredge boat. Quite literally, he experienced “Life on the Mississippi.”
Even though the next generation in my family didn’t work on the water – at least not long-term – - sometimes it seemed as though they were walking on water (or at least playing on water). During weekend family outings, they would take to the lakes and rivers of the Mid-South region and dance around the surface on skis and saucers.
Those were fun times for a tyke. We’d pack picnic lunches and head to a sand bar on the Mighty Missip. I played with my cousins and watched as my uncles and aunts enjoyed their weekend outing as well.
Aquatic themes have recurred throughout my life. At a somewhat older age, I taught myself to swim. I did this, in part, because, I knew that was going to be a key skill to have throughout life. I was glad to have mastered that tool, later, when I engaged in parent-tot swim classes with both of the ones. Later, pool parties were a staple for birthdays and end-of-year baseball team celebrations.
And, as you know, nautical themes played a key role during my high school years (You know…Admiral Farragut) as they have for my kids.
Now, we have another chance to celebrate the water. Next month, APAC is presenting “Pirates of Penzance,” the spring musical at FHS. Stay tuned for more information.
Fitting choice, don’t you think?
JG
Originally posted 2/13/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment