It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Ev'rywhere you go;
There’s a tree in the Grand Hotel, one in the park as well,
The sturdy kind that doesn’t mind the snow.
This evening, we attended the Town of Farragut’s Town Hall Christmas event. This was our third of three outings to enjoy the wonderful music of the FHS Madrigal Singers (I wrote about the other two last week).
I love coming to the Farragut Town Hall event because, first, I love the interior of that building. And, I especially, love how Town staff decorates Town Hall for the holiday season.

When I was President of Farragut Baseball, Inc., we often scheduled our quarterly meetings for the Town Hall’s general purpose meeting room. I loved the location for its convenience and functionality. I also attended the Town’s Park and Recreation annual meeting (which was held in the Board room – the same place that hosted the FHS Ensemble tonight). In that meeting, we’d make the league’s pitch (so to speak) for the field time we needed to rent at Watt Road.
In those days – as I suspect it is today – field time for games and practices ‘On the Hill’ was maxxed out, therefore, we rented time at Mayor Bob Leonard Park on Watt Road (and sometimes at Anchor Park) to stretch our ability to offer coaches ample practice time. The league has also coordinated a high school-age recreational league and FB, Inc. plays those games on the fields at Watt Road.
The Town and League, generally, had an excellent working relationship and when representatives of the league attended this annual meeting in January, we were generally able to work it out so we could rent the extra field time we needed.
All of that to say, as a representative of the baseball league, I spent a lot of time in Town Hall and have good memories of those associations. All of that brings me back to tonight – a totally different purpose to be in Town Hall and, yet, equally pleasing.
Town Staff served punch, warm cider and yummy cookies. The sights of Farragut tots chatting with Santa in the meeting room – the same one where our baseball meetings happened – would put a smile on anyone’s face. Then, of course, when our FHS singers took the stage, they filled Town Hall with wonderful, rich Christmas selections that we heard last week at the tree lighting ceremony and again at the Madrigal dinner. And some of the selfsame tots joined them up front for an old-fashioned singalong.
One little girl punctuated the end of “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” with her well-timed proclamation of “Like George Washington!” when it was said that Rudolph would ‘go down in history.’ She brought down the house.
What a wonderful way to ring in the Season!
As I told you earlier, I love how Town Hall looks after TOF staff has ‘Decked the Halls.’ And this evening, with all of the activities and the wonderful music, the atmosphere was just magical.
JG
Originally posted 12/6/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment