Monday, August 9, 2021

Convention Time

My post on Thursday generated quite a bit of discussion around the dinner-table just after it went live.

We asked the question, rhetorically, about what Paul might be doing right about then. I was thinking of a tangible answer like: “Preparing for his next competition.” Or: “Competing the first round of ABC competition.”

Instead, Holly cut right to the point as she can so successful do. She answered: “Having the time of his life.”

She added that her own experience in attending a theatre competition – her competition was in Clarksville, which is the site of the state competition this year in April. She talked further about eating arrangements, sleeping arrangements and the fun of just being on your own at such an event.

It brought back a cascade of my memories.

Lisa mentioned that the drive into Gatlinburg always reminds her of going to the annual state FFA convention. Our stories also reminded me of my own high school competition experience.

When I was a senior at FHS, our newspaper staff attended the Tennessee High School Press Association Convention in Downtown Nashville. Our newspaper staff had submitted a number of entries – both as a group and as individuals. We were there to hear the results, to compete in some impromptu writing events, to attend some workshops and mostly, well, to “Have the times of our lives.”

image

I was fortunate to room with three of my good friends from the newspaper staff – Rob, Rob and Rob (to make things easier for us, they went by Bo, Rob and Robby, respectively).  I don’t remember that there was much sleep (if I am lucky enough, one of those Robs might be reading right now and he can confirm this fact). I do remember a late night viewing of some NBA playoff game that was on television.

Meanwhile, I was also fortunate in that one of Tennessee’s senators served as the keynote speaker for a breakfast event. I also remember that there was some sort of social (a dance, if you will).

The workshops we attended were conducted by a number of UT journalism professors (some who would become my future instructors as well). At least one of them might be reading and he, too, could confirm this fact.

Not surprisingly, the thing I remember most from this particular weekend is my romantic pursuits.

On the agenda for that first night of the convention was a scavenger hunt. We were competing as schools, of course. I remember that one of our ‘items to get’ was a bow-tie. We got bonus points for ingenuity for putting a tie on Bo and saying that he was a ‘Bo with a Tie.’

While I was zipping to and fro around the hotel, I met a very friendly young lady from Memphis – a fellow competitor. We struck up a conversation and proceeded to enjoy lots of witty banter for the rest of the weekend.

By luck and happenstance, my family had a trip planned to Memphis a week after the event, so I was able to pick up the conversation just where we left off a few days later.

Over the years, we stayed in touch and became great friends when it was obvious the weekend romance had worn off.

Our newspaper team didn’t win any awards, as I recall. I think we, as a group, placed somewhere in the ‘average’ category. But on the personal side, I think many of us judged our weekend to be a success.

JG

Originally posted 2/23/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...