Wednesday, July 28, 2021

You’ve Got To Be There

Last night, we ran across a special presentation on the local PBS channel about the 1982 World’s Fair.

The Braves game didn’t look like it was going anywhere (and it didn’t), so we decided to tune in. Turns out it was really a broadcast associated with a fundraising drive by WKOP. One of the ‘premiums’ they were offering for contributors was a DVD (along with other memorabilia) from the World’s Fair. They’d do a push for callers – kind of like a telethon – and then they’d go back to clips from the retrospective DVD.

The only odd thing to me about the presentation is I wonder why they waited until August and didn’t do it in May on the 30th anniversary of the opening of the fair.

If you are from this area, you likely went to the 1982 World’s Fair. If not, you may not know that Knoxville hosted that event. Or, your only knowledge of it may be a certain episode The Simpsons.

In any case, it’s a true statement. The world did come to Knoxville in 1982. President Reagan came to officially open the proceedings in early May. The Fair lasted until the end of October. It featured an energy theme.

Many local residents purchased season passes. I must confess that I did not. My dad had passes and I remember him talking about how he’d go to the World’s Fair site during lunch and enjoy some sort of unique meal and take in some of the sights and sounds. My mom and sister had passes, too, as I recall.

He was a big fan of World’s Fairs. When he was serving in the Army in Europe, he attended a World’s Fair in Brussels in 1958. And two years after our Fair closed, my dad attended one in Nawlins.

Specifically, I remember going on two occasions. I even purchased a couple shirts (now owned by Holly).

image

The World’s Fair site, as you may know, is located near downtown and also near the UT campus, so it was conveniently located for a college student.

I may have gone a couple other times. I just can’t recall. I do remember I was working a lot that year. Around town, we had a number of businesses that popped up during the Fair. I worked at two food establishments in the Outlets Mall (located off Lovell Road). That Outlets Mall was a popular destination for fair-goers who came to town on bus tours.

I worked at a Chinese food establishment (called ‘The Silver Wing’) and also at a hot dog stand (called ‘Puttin’ on the Dog’ – I know, I know…corny. I had NOTHING to do with the naming!). Anyway, if I wasn’t working at one place in the evening, I was likely found at the other. Some days, I’d clock out from one employer and walk down the hall to clock in at the other.

One day, I was summoned to speak French with two ladies who were at the mall. They were in town for the World’s Fair. When I got to the location where they were waiting, we spoke briefly. They didn’t need anything specific. Someone had just mentioned they knew of a guy who spoke French and these two ladies said they wanted to meet the young Tennessee man who could speak French.

They gave me decent marks as someone who spoke le francais okay…for an American!

As for my impressions of the Fair, itself, I had some good experiences. I’m not sure I want to purchase the DVD, but I do remember the World’s Fair fondly.

I remember one time that I went there on a date. The date must not have gone very well, though, because I don’t remember a second one.

At any rate, from that night, one of my memories was that I was coerced to get on one of those rides that goes back and forth until it almost flips over. When the ride approached the apex of its back and forth motion, I almost felt my stomach coming up through my throat.

Gravity can do funny things to you. Well, I think it was gravity. I don’t think it was the fledgling romance!

Speaking of fledgling romances, on my second World’s Fair visit (the second to last day before it closed), I went to the World’s Fair with my good friend, Bobby Brooks. That night, I ran into a young lady that I had met the previous year when I was otherwise occupied.

We chatted for a few minutes and it was obvious that a nice spark still existed. We started going out with each other not long after that and the relationship was a nice one for the next few months. And then, like the World’s Fair itself, that budding romance folded.

Ironically, it was the same week – the last week of the fair - that Lisa says she went to the World’s Fair for the one and only time with one of her buddies.

Looking back, it’s too bad I didn’t run into her instead!

JG

Originally posted 8/21/2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...