A current television advertisement for Nissan’s “Get What You Want Event” features a friendly young blonde lady who is very excited about all of the features she is finding on the specific car she is test driving.
As she inspects the car - and lists all of the features she’s excited about – the viewer hears the 1980s Hall and Oates song, “You Make My Dreams Come True” playing in the background. The song really doesn’t have much to do with the spot except for the fact that it conveys the message that the automobile shopper in the Nissan commercial is getting everything she wants. In essence, Nissan’s “Get What You Want Event” is a way that they make her dreams come true.
The spot has been frequently running this summer. The ‘event’ ended on July 2. If I were in the market for a new or used car this summer, it would definitely come to mind. I don’t remember that there was any certain campaign, however, that influenced the purchase of my Jeep back in the winter. (NOTE - Nissan’s follow-up campaign features a song that closely resembles the song “Summer Nights” from the soundtrack of the motion picture, “Grease.”).

The technique of using a popular music song (or even an oldie from the 80s) as the music bed for a tv spot isn’t new at all. Ad researchers focus on a term “Attitude Toward the Ad.” Not surprisingly, one way to influence consumers attitude toward a television advertisement is to couple the visuals with a popular music song that will help underscore the message while giving the tv viewer some ‘warm fuzzies’ by reminding them of a song they used to love to listen to on the radio.
The ad men for Wendy’s should take note. I do not have a good attitude toward the spot for the Berry Almond Chicken Salad. But, I admit I will stop and take notice when the current Burger King commercial comes on; the one featuring Dire Straits’ Walk of Life as background music.
It didn’t take me long at all to make a list of similar spots that have struck me over the years.
One of my favorites was a 2003 spot from Cingular Wireless. They were touting a new service which allowed cellular phone subscribers to switch providers while keeping their phone number. In this spot, the lady wants to keep her number, she says, because it’s famous. The spot then features the 80s Tommy Tutone song, “867-5309.”
The cell phone business is adept at this technique, it seems. In the late 90s AT&T’s “It’s All Within Your Reach” tv campaign featured a number of spots using pop music as the hook.
One spot in the campaign features the Elton John song, ‘‘Rocket Man’’ as husband and wife connected while he’s flying over during a business trip.
Fast food junkies, too, might remember Taco Bell’s “Cheezy Beefy Melt” spots featuring the 1982 Modern English song, “I Melt With You.”
Product marketers aren’t the only advertisers tempting us with tunes. ESPN, for example, used a series of U2 songs including “Magnificent” - and a voice over by Bono - to help promote its coverage of FIFA World Cup Soccer in 2010.
What’s the common theme between cars and cell phones and fast food and sporting events? Other than the fact that the spots are directed at consumers (and presumably folks who watch a lot of television), the common theme is pop music. And, in the case of all of the examples I listed, the target is – like myself – probably someone who came of age in the 80s.
It definitely works. I just spent a few minutes reciting tv ads from the last 10+ years. I didn’t necessarily buy products because of the spots, but I certainly have a positive attitude toward them or at least about the commercial. That means I probably didn’t immediately change the channel.
Sounds like the advertisers, and the researchers who help them - are on to something.
JG
(Source: youtube.com)
Originally posted 7/5/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment