Thursday, July 22, 2021

What’s in a number?

For me, I think today should be declared “National Birthday Day.” There’s a holiday for everything, right?

No, it’s not MY birthday. But, it is truly amazing how many people I know that DO share this birthday.

I won’t call names, but let’s just say it’s a BUNCH. Some of them showed up in my Facebook feed this morning. And that’s not even all of them.

In today’s list, I saw that today is the birthday of one of the kids I grew up with. Also on today’s notice is a girl I had a crush on back in middle school. This is also the birthday of a sweet, former co-worker of mine. And, last but not least is my former dentist (hey doc - still no caveties!).

And apart from that, there are the two others. Today is the birthday of my former college roommate (and friend from high school) as well as an ex-girlfriend. I always knew about them. The others…that’s a recent revelation.

Count ‘em. That’s six, right? That’s what I’ve got. And who knows - there may be more out there! It’s gotta be a huge coincidence, right? But it does make you wonder - what’s in a number?

Why is it that so many people who have been in and out of my life have birthdays on November 27?

It’s kind of like another number that plays a huge role in my life - the #17 (hmmm…it’s also got a 7…MAY be something to that). My grandfather - R.E. “Pap” Gary - was born on September 17th. And from there, the list is amazing. There are at least five or six other family members (on both sides) with birthdays on the 17th.

This is just one reason Paul chose to wear the #17 when he was playing for the Choppers all those years.



As for myself, #24 was my number. It was my birthday and I always liked the number very much. But, there isn’t anyone else in the 'club.’ Just me.

With regard to THIS day, I never really knew how many people I knew in the November 27 club until the last couple of years. I mean…when I was in school, there was my good pal Wayne (who I mentioned earlier). And later, when I found out the girl I was going out with also had a birthday on the 27th, I thought to myself “That’s pretty cool.”

But it was really only with the advent of social media that I learned about all these other people - one after another.

It’s gotta mean something. There has to be some significance to it. I just can’t put my finger on it.

Any ideas?

JG

Originally posted 11/27/2011


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...