Some family cars are merely machines. Tools. Transportation. A means to an end.
And then there are some vehicles that are a part of the family. Such it is with my grandfather’s truck.
Pap Gary bought the Chevy S10 new in the early 90s from the (now former) Shelton Harrison dealership on Hwy. 51 in Millington.
He drove it until he didn’t drive any more. Then, my uncle drove Pap around town in the truck.
And then, Pap passed away.
When Pap died, my dad bought the truck from the estate. He drove it for a number of years and then he passed it on to me.
Over the years, I’ve had numerous offers from folks wanting to buy it from me but I’ve always told them “It’s not for sale.” Then, I explain it is a family heirloom.
Meanwhile, I had visions of me using the truck as a utility vehicle and as occasional transportation. I could haul mulch, take recyclables to the recycling center and always have it on hand in case things needed to be moved from Point A to Point B.
About the same time, I had emerging teenagers who were ready to drive. They had alternate plans.
My daughter fell in love with the truck and pretty soon, my visions of a utility truck had been transformed into a part of Holly’s high school experience.
I think she liked it because it was shabby chic. It wasn’t a cookie cutter car like all the Toyotas and Hondas in the FHS parking lot. And, it became a strong part of her identity as a high schooler.
Her friends also came to love Holly’s truck. One year, for her 18th birthday, they decorated the truck up in style. I remember taking an old mattress to the dump when the vehicle was so adorned. I got a few stares as I made my way along I-40.
Holly’s senior year was Paul’s freshman year, so the two of them enjoyed their rides to FHS in style in Pap’s truck. One night, Paul remembers, he and Holly and her best friend Annie were all riding in cab; packed like happy (and safe) sardines after an FHS improv show.
Then, in 2010, Holly graduated and it became Paul’s turn to drive Pap’s truck.
As you can see the photo above, the truck is blue and white (good FHS colors, by the way). They are also the colors of a jacket that Paul wears almost constantly. That’s part of HIS high school identity.
If you happen to scroll through past posts on this blog, I’m sure you can find a photo of Paul wearing the jacket. One day, a classmate made the connection between the colors of Pap’s truck and Paul’s jacket and, thus, a new phrase was coined: “Jacket Truck.”
Also, if you have read other posts, you might remember from my “Good Riddence” blog from just a few weeks ago - as I detailed our litany of misfortunes from last year - the truck was in an accident back in October. When I got to the scene, Paul, his girlfriend and his pals were all circled up around the truck and many of them were wishing “Jacket Truck” well.
That was the first time I heard the moniker.
It was also the last time Jacket Truck was driven for a while. Then, my dad, who is so talented when it comes to mechanical activities, volunteered to take the truck home and make the necessary fixes to get it back on the road. He did a very detailed repair to straighten out many of the bends. He replaced the tail light and bumper. He got the bed back into place and bolted down and he put the tailgate back into place.
It looks GREAT! Kudos to him for a job well done (as always).
Tonight, Jacket Truck was on the road again as I drove it home from his place to mine and backed it down the driveway and into it’s proper place just to the left of the basketball goal.
I’ve often wondered about the legacy of “Jacket Truck.” Four generations have driven it. On numerous occasions, I rode in the passenger seat while my dad drove and I’ve also riden with Holly and Paul has they have driven it.
Many times, I have thought Pap and how he’d enjoy the fact that we’ve gotten so much use and joy out of the truck he purchased so many years ago. In a way, I sort of felt he was riding shotgun in “Jacket Truck” tonight.
JG
Originally posted 1/9/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment