I told you a couple months ago about one of my co-workers losing her beloved cat and how she really struggled with that. Yesterday, I learned my sister has also suffered a similar loss.
She posted on her Facebook last night that her cat, Missy, has died. She was 18. I learned from my sister that she had Missy for 17 years. That spans quite a period of her family life as she has only been married slightly longer than that.
I know she misses Missy very much.

As she was going through some of her photos, undoubtedly reminissing, she found some photos of other cats which she posted. She also sent me a picture of Mitzi, one of MY family’s past cats.

Mitzi disappeared about this time a year ago. We say that she moved down the hill to live with a grandmother. She and Roger never got along all that well so I don’t think he misses her. Also, it’s a little more positive to think of her moving into a new home rather than the alternative.
All the thinking about Mitzi…and Missy…got me to start thinking about some of the other great family cats we have had over the year. When my sister and I were younger, we had two cats - P.C. (as my dad called her) and Alfonzo. P.C. (which stood for Pretty Kitty) had a sweet demeanor. So did Fonz…except he had a weird quirk for wanting to suck on fingers!
Later, when I got married, we adopted two cats (Dave and Maddie). Dave is probably my all-time favorite cat. He had the sweet nature that Fonz had plus the intelligence and intensity of Roger.
He was just a lot nicer than Rog.
Maddie, on the other hand, wasn’t very nice. In fact, when we bought her from the pet store, the clerk referred to her as “the big mean gray and white one.”
It was an apt description.
Maddie and Dave had a litter of kitties and we kept Whitey. He lived with us for years and, in fact, he just passed away a few years ago. We were cat-less for about a year and then we got Roger and Mitz-kitz.
That pretty well brings you up to date.
I was thinking of all these great family pets who enriched our lives - my sister and her family; me and my family and my parents. Then, thinking of Missy (and Mitzi). I’d like to think that somewhere they’re hanging out together…and along with P.C., Fonz, Dave and all the others.
JG
Originally posted 1/25/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment