Sunday, July 25, 2021

Peyton’s Team

With news heating up about Peyton Manning’s search for a new NFL team, I got an email from a dear friend asking me how I would react if he became a Tennessee Titan. I think she was afraid I’d be crestfallen.

image

I wrote her back and told her that I think that would be a fantastic development. The signing might give the Titans a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl and Peyton a chance to get his second NFL title. Then, I deconstructed the question more, because I didn’t quite understand why she’d ask it. Then, I realized I probably have given her – and many other people – the wrong impression over the years.

Let me try to explain.

I’ve never pulled against Peyton. I’ve always admired him as a person and been a fan of his talents. And, after all, he’s probably THE most high profile graduate of my alma mater.

But here comes the rub, while he was throwing touchdowns for the Vols, a team called the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee and set up shop. Like many other folks from around the state, I decided that, in terms of the NFL, I’d become a fan of the home team. We’ve had season tickets for the Titans since 2000.

By the time Peyton conducted the UT Pride of the Southland marching band in “Rocky Top” for the last time, I was fully a Titans fan.

Then, luck and happenstance converged. The Colts had the #1 pick. In ’98, they drafted Peyton. Then, early in the 00s, NFL re-alignment brought the Colts and Titans together in the same division.

My problem has NEVER been with Peyton. My problem was that amazing quarterback for the Colts who was throwing touchdowns against my Titans. My problem was the roadblock with the horseshoe on the helmet that would consistently beat them out for the AFC South Division Title. He was the QB for my favorite team’s BIGGEST RIVAL.

And on another level, I will admit I got slightly perturbed at all those East Tennessee folks who by-passed the in-state team to root for the INDIANAPOLIS Colts. I’ve often wondered how things might’ve been different if he had been drafted by some random team that didn’t compete w/ the Titans – someone like Seattle…or Detroit.

It just didn’t shake out that way.

But now, luck and happenstance have converged again (Luck – in the form of Andrew Luck and the #1 pick) and we MIGHT get a shot at a do-over.

Last week, the Colts and Peyton parted ways. Over the past few days, he has been visiting team after team – first Denver, then Arizona and finally Miami. Now, even as we speak, Peyton is meeting with the Titans’ brass as he continues his quest to choose his new NFL team.

I, for one, am rooting with all my might that he signs with the Titans. I really thought it was a pipe-dream but then Titans’ owner Bud Adams said he wanted his guys to make a full push and that led us to where we are today…Peyton getting off the plane in Nashville (wearing a Tennessee orange button down shirt).

Talk about a happy ending. As we all know, Peyton has tremendous ties to the state. Also, he is very familiar with the Titans’ facilities. Further, he’d get to stay in the division where he has had so much success over the years. I think it would give us a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl.

And, it would bring everyone together. We’d all be on the same team. Titans fans; Vols fans; Peyton fans.

JG  

(Source: tennessean.com)

Originally posted 3/14/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...