So today is Friday the 13th. Did you make sure to pack your lucky rabbit’s foot when you left the house this morning?
I’ve never really known what to make of this kind of day. I’ve never really been prone to worry about Friday the 13th. The only real superstitions I have ever followed relate to my baseball coaching days (not sure if the Choppers ever played a game on Friday the 13th though). I didn’t step on a foul line. I didn’t talk to pitchers about their game during a no hitter. And never NEVER did I ever say something like “Well, we’ve got this one in the bag…” until the final out was made.
Still, in general, the topic interests me.
That I can recall, I’ve never planned any major events for this day. If I want to risk it, I’d have three chances this year. We have three Friday the 13ths scheduled for 2012.

I went in search for some explanations about why we worry so much about Friday the 13th (and the precautions we take to counteract it). You can check out some of the supplemental links I’ve placed at the bottom, as well as a nice CBC article listed as source material.
In terms of Friday the 13th references, of course, many folks have seen at least one of the Friday the 13th movies, including the original (Chi-Chi-Chi; Cha-Cha-Cha) or one of the myriad sequels in the franchise.
I was born on a Friday, so you’ll never hear me saying a bad word about Fridays. You know…TGIF and all that.
Relating to the #13, some baseball players refuse to wear that number (though others prefer to wear it). Of course, many buildings DO NOT have a 13th floor and some theatres skip from seat 12 right over to 14.
Wonder if there are other references I’m forgetting?
In any case, so far so good on this day, though the kids attending school in the Knox County district might disagree. They didn’t get the Friday snow day they were wishing for!
JG
Additional Links:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-12/Three-Friday-the-13ths-in-2012/52523744/1
(Source: cbc.ca)
Originally posted 1/13/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment