Thursday, July 29, 2021

Over the River and…What the Heck!

In case you haven’t looked at Mapquest recently and you live in the heart of the Tennessee Valley, you will note…we live at the convergence of:

Draw a big circle around the metro area and a big dot in the heart of Knoxville. It looks like a big bulls-eye.

That’s what we’re facing today and tomorrow folks.

Before you get the idea that I’m going all ‘Bah Humbug" about Thanksgiving Week, please understand…I’m not. I love Thanksgiving Week.

It’s the travel through town the two days before Thanksgiving that I’m not so keen on.

Thanksgiving travel can be a nightmare. And we’re just driving a few miles. I tip my cap to those weary travelers who must go hundreds of miles.

The extra vehicles on our area roadways during a concentrated period of time makes it tough for everyone, though.

Here’s an example. Last year, I was in the downtown area. I left to head west to my house (a trip that normally takes about 30ish minutes). It took me nearly an hour and a half to get home! When I left the downtown area, I timed my trip so as to beat a line of very heavy rain that was heading this way.

I cut it too close.

I-40 was a parking lot. By the time I had gotten halfway home, the deluge began. That only had to the challenging travel conditions. Thing is…it wasn’t just last year. It was last year. The year before last year. The year before that.

And, I predict it’s coming again.

I wouldn’t be shocked if, when we all go out to make the commute home this evening, we do so with many MANY more fellow travelers at our side. We know the alternate routes; they don’t.

My plan is that I plan to enjoy taking the long way home and I predict I’ll get home faster because of it.

My advice to you is to do the same. Be patient. And, you might want to pack a nice 'book on tape’ for the ride.

JG

(Source: weather.com)

Originally posted 11/20/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...