Wednesday, July 28, 2021

My T.V.

I’m fairly picky about what I will watch on television.

I don’t have all that much time for television anyway so if I am sitting down to watch something, I’m definitely choosy. I’ve never gotten into any of the music shows or reality television, for example. Apart from sports, my ‘niche’ in terms of television viewing is ‘Classic TV.’

My definition of Classic TV is the collection of shows we watched after school growing up or across the airwaves during those endless summer days. It was quite common to come inside to cool off from a hot summer day and be greeted by Gomer or Gilligan.

This is the kind of programming that entertained us as kids – innocent fun without too many complications beyond the basic plot. We used to see on TV Land back in the day before it changed its philosophy some years ago. Since then, your best chance to see these classic shows is to buy the DVDs unless you might catch a random episode of some show in the wee hours of the morning.

Needless to say, I’ve started my own DVD collection.

Imagine my excitement when I heard that Knoxville is getting “Me TV” (Memorable Entertainment Television).  When my mother heard that “Me TV” (Channel 136 on the Charter dial) was coming to town, she gave me a call (and texted me). Locally, Me TV is located on the Channel 10 sister station (10.2?) that used to show weather constantly.

One look at the programming guide for Me TV and you see a collection of the shows that people in my era grew up with: From Brady Bunch to Batman; From My Three Sons to M*A*S*H. Granted, I do have a lot of the DVDs, but at times, when you’ve just got 15 minutes, you love to be able to turn the dial and find a familiar face.

With a busy schedule, I can’t tell you how many hours I will actually sit and watch endlessly. But, it is nice to know there is a new option.

JG  

(Source: metvnetwork.com)

Originally posted 10/9/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...