Change is just not an easy concept for many of us to embrace. We humans are just such creatures of habit.
We love our lattes to help us wake up in the morning; we drive familiar routes to work (and home) each day. We wear the same clothes over (and over and over).
We settle into a routine; we pick our favorites and we ride them all the way.
So, naturally, changing from your old car to a new car presents its challenges. Mind you, it’s exciting to have a ‘new’ car (even if it is new/used). And who doesn’t love that ‘new car smell?’
But, I have found the switch from my Expedition to the Jeep Grand Cherokee has given me a few (ahem) bumps in the road.
Last weekend, we took the Jeep out on the open road for a weekend getaway. And while the vehicle performed well, we have found ourselves ‘adjusting’ to a different ride.

Change doesn’t come easy.
The first challenge was getting used to scanning the parking lot for a different vehicle. I’ve made that adjustment, finally, after a few weeks. It’s as easy as going from “Big Blue” to “Dark Blue.”
Then, there are the operational differences. For one thing, “Big Blue” had a six slot CD player. It’s really hard to go back from that to a simple one slotter. On a long drive, six CDs is just such a comfortable total. You can mix and shuffle or go from Point A to Point B.
A one slotter goes by very quickly.
On the plus side, I love the built-in satellite radio. It came with a three-month trial membership when we bought the Jeep. I’m sure I’ll extend that contract when April rolls around. Thing is…I’ll actually have to CANCEL my old subscription and activate this one. “No way to tie the accounts together,” they tell me. So, in the long run, I’ll wind up saving money.
Anyway, Holly is loving tuning in ‘Alt Nation’ when she’s riding along.
Another thing (and this is a small one) is that the Expedition had the compass and thermometer in an easy to spot location (just above the rear-view mirror). On the Jeep, I have had to adjust to finding that spot near the odometer. There are lots of numbers there as you sneak a quick peek.
The key is one of those odd boxey things…not a ‘key’ in the sense that we know. There is a traditional keyhold in the driver-side door (and I’m told by Chrysler that I’ll have to take it by an actual dealership if I want to purchase one of those). Urrgh.
What happens if the keyless entry decides NOT to work some day? I forsee an untimely call to AAA. Thus, I’ll probably break down some day and go to Jimmy Bob’s Chrysler Dodge Jeep Dealership and see if they can make a valet key for me.
Then the biggie…the vehicle is MUCH smaller. Really this is a good thing/bad thing. True, there is less space to haul things (and people). On the other hand, it’s much more maneuverable. Our garage is much less crowded. And the biggie…weekly trips to the gas station just aren’t as painful on the wallet.
I also loved how the Expedition had TONS of cubbies, compartments and consoles for storage. There is less of that in the Jeep. But, on the other hand, that will encourage me to do a better job of keeping the interior of the Jeep neat, complete and in order!
So far, so good on that account.
Truth be told, driving the Jeep is not better (and it’s not worse) than driving the Expedition. It’s just DIFFERENT. And therein lies the problem. It’s about change. As I said at the top, it’s just not something most people seek to do naturally.
But, now and then, when you are forced to do it, change can be a good thing. It’s especially good when you are writing about the notion of dependable transportation as opposed to being stranded somewhere along the side of the road.
I think we’d ALL agree that change, in that instance, is a very good thing!
JG
Question of the Day: What are your tips or tricks for dealing with change?
(Source: jeep.com)
Originally posted 2/25/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment