Dalek. TARDIS. Cyberman.
Since Holly Gary came home from France, she’s been speaking some different vocabulary. Thing is: It’s NOT French she’s speaking and she didn’t learn the vocab during her Study Abroad Program.
The new words have been somewhat of a mystery to me and her mother. I decided it was time to investigate.
Turns out – as many of you may know but I was probably the last to know – the above-listed references come from the British Science Fiction show, “Doctor Who.” Sometime last year, Holly was bitten by the bug of obsession for this show. I remember her talking to Paul about something they just had to watch on our plane ride to San Francisco back in May.
This was it.
Before she left for France, and after she got back, she’s been staying up really late to watch some “Must See TV” (and I don’t mean the 11 p.m. re-runs of “Friends”).
This is it.
Almost all summer long, she’s been mentioning one topic.
This one.
Last night, I decided it was time to find out what it’s all about. After all, normally, Holly’s obsessions include Roger the Cat as well as alternative and college rock music.
So, I sat down with Holly and her mother and we watched an episode. I think it made her feel good that I was embracing her latest passion (and pastime). I guess Lisa had watched some snippets of the show before, but I had such a busy summer at work I really hadn’t been able to join in.
Last night I did.
I found the episode enjoyable. It’s quaint with the British accents and all. I’m not much of a Science Fiction enthusiast.
I’m looking forward to watching a few other episodes with her - including the one featuring Bill Paterson as a guest star. You might recall, I wrote last year during the holidays about our favorite Christmas move, “Comfort and Joy.” He’s the star of that movie and he will guest star in one of the episodes we will soon watch. She shared this photo with me courtesy of BBC.

It’s an interesting concept for a show and the show has a very interesting history (dating, in some form, to the 1960s). The modern incarnation (which Holly has been watching) started around 2005.
Holly has so many of them recorded from BBC America. I gather the place Holly chose to start us with the show is the first episode of the fifth series (from 2010), “The Eleventh Hour.” For those of you who know the show, you’ll know exactly what that means. For me – and the rest of us – it was as good of a place to start as any.
Turns out, that was the first episode SHE watched, as well, after learning about the show right here on tumblr.
At any rate, I enjoyed watching the show last night (though I have to confess, I found it a bit confusing). Anyway, I am sure I will watch a few more and understand a bit better.
In the meantime, one thing does relate BOTH to the show AND to Holly’s recent trip. She and Paul have taken to referring to the show as “Médecin Qui.”
That is the literal French translation for…Dr. Who.
JG
Originally posted 8/15/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment