Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Macchios

“Gon’ shee macchios?”

The question was posed, plaintively, punctuated by the wistful eyes of a toddler.

The answer was often vague, “Maybe in a little while…” But, eventually, a weary mom or worn-down dad would, in fact, escort the toddler downstairs to see the macchios (pronounced ‘mock-e-yoes’). You know how it is.

When you have young children, as you know, they create a language all their own. For example, when Holly wanted milk, she’d ask for ‘mauk.’ When you’d tell her ‘thank you,’ she’d reply with ‘You lopom.’ As a parent, one of your responsibilities was to be able to translate this new language.

File it under ‘Other duties as assigned!’

One of Paul’s most memorable language creations was the notion of macchios. When he was asking to see the macchios, he was really asking to see the masks.

Some years ago, I acquired three Presidential Halloween masks – a Nixon, a Reagan and a Bush. I ran across them at some store (maybe Target) on a super duper clearance sale. They were discounted so far (like maybe down to $5 a piece) I couldn’t pass them up.

image

And over the years, the macchios have come in handy when I have been invited to some Halloween function. I remember that one year, my friend Mac and I attended one particular bash as Bush and Reagan.

But as fun as it has been to use the masks for their expressed purpose, their most memorable role is simply as ‘the macchios’ - especially when toddler Paul would request to go see them.

“Neexa”
“Reyga”
“Poosh”

We have one funny video clip where he labels each of the macchios. He seems extremely wistful when he says “Pooooosh.”

Paul would inspect each of the macchios, noticing how Neexa had extremely large cheeks and a big round nose or that Pooosh had a very long forehead.

Much later, as he grew into the trick or treating age, he borrowed the masks a couple times. I remember, specifically, one year when he went as Reyga,” he wore his Easter blazer, a shirt and a tie. He specifically asked me for a couple Reagan lines that he could use as he’d trick or treat. I suggested he try “There you go again.” It seemed to work well in the context of what he was doing.

Even then, Paul was well-versed in the art of performing. And, I think, that year he was convinced that the art of trick or treating would give him a chance to do a little improv as he was also collecting candy.

Not to be outdone, that year Holly used a macchio, of a different sort, as she participated in Halloween activities. She had outgrown the trick or treating phase but she wanted to be the chief distributor of candy at our home. She borrowed some of my baseball catching gear and dressed as a catcher – complete with mask and mitt - as she handed out that year’s treats.

I’m not sure who’ll handle that task as this Halloween unfolds - maybe a team effort. I’m not sure if we’ll see a baseball catcher but I do feel reasonable sure that we won’t see any of the macchios on our front porch.

Not a Neexa. Not a Reyga. Not even a Pooosh.

JG   

Originally posted 10/31/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...