I’m not superstitious by nature.
OK. Well, maybe when I was a baseball coach. I never stepped on the chalklines. If our team won a tournament game wearing the red jerseys, we didn’t switch to blue. And I never jinxed a game by saying “We’ve got this one in the bag.”
So, maybe I’m a little superstitious.
When it comes to Labor Day weekends, I’m a LOT superstitious. Over the years, we have had some freaky and negative things happen to us on the final three day holiday weekend of summer.
Maybe it’s the heat? Maybe it’s the long break between one holiday to the next. Whatever the case, we’ve had a series of ‘unfortunate adventures’ on the last weekend of August/first weekend of September. So, it’s with a little trepidation that we approach that weekend again. You just don’t want to get yourself in the habit of asking, “What’s it gonna be this time?”
So, I won’t.
Anyway, you remember that episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye spends a 24 hour period paranoid about a prank that B.J. is going to play on him. The prank never comes - and ultimately that was the punchline - but Hawkeye is totally spooked.
Not gonna let that happen here.
I woke up this morning and realized it is now September. So, it’s hard not to take a look back at some doozies from over the years. They’re really hard to explain. This weekend, historically, has not been kind to us Garys.
I thought about writing a long list of ‘Woe is me’ kind of accounts but, that just isn’t my style. I don’t like it when folks take to Facebook and complain. I’m going to go out on a limb and say you don’t like to read it either. So, you definitely don’t want to read ‘Boo hoo. I dread this weekend.’
Instead, I’ve scripted out a proactive approach to having a productive and positive weekend. Here goes:
- Watch the UT Vols football game (done - did that last night)
- Get haircut
- Pay bills
- Attend FHS-Catholic football game Saturday night
- Attend church services Sunday at FPC
- Go do a couple sessions on the treadmills at The Y this weekend
- Get some work done around the house
So, let’s put those oddball three-day weekends of the past behind us. A new day dawns. It’s gonna be a good one. And this weekend is gonna be great, too.
JG
(Source: timeanddate.com)
Originally posted 9/1/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment