I read a blog on yahoo this week that started off by asking the question: “Is Halloween the new Christmas?”
Man, I sure hope not.
The piece outlined the argument talking about the massive commercialization of this late October festival – from elaborate home decorations to the endless list of parties and special events. Massive expenditures. And the candy. Oh the candy.
It’s impossible to miss the displays of Kit Kats, Tootsies and Whoppers. There are also the seasonal favorites that, like Brigadoon, appear just so often – candy corn, marshmallow pumpkins and peanut butter kisses.
As an aside…I used to warn my mother against purchasing peanut butter kisses. I made the case that your house’s chances of being tee-peed increase ten-fold when you scrimp on the confections and opt for the cheapies (as opposed to the higher end Hershey Miniatures, Milky Ways and Skittles). But, I digress…
The real issue in this blog is not confection expenditures. It is rather the larger question of whether Halloween has now reached elite holiday status alongside with commercial biggie – Christmas.
Again I say…Man I hope not.
Let’s compare. One holiday celebrates death; one holiday celebrates life. One holiday fetes devils and demons; one holiday marks the birth of the King of Kings.
Which would you pick?
The earlier blog I referenced didn’t break down the events along philosophical lines. I think it was merely a commercial comparison. And, when you look at it that way, I have to shrug and say “Maybe it is becoming true.” Or, if it is not a case of Brown becoming the new Black (or Black becoming the new Green and Red), maybe it is really a case of Americans entering a prolonged holiday season that runs from October 31 to December 31.
Of course, you can start ‘stocking up’ for Halloween in mid-September (as if Snicker bars would last THAT long while we’re all on a collective sugar high).
I think my take on this issue is that Americans love a good holiday. After all…check out the aisles of your local discount store on December 26 and I’m sure you’ll find you can be first in line to buy your Valentine’s Day gifts. And on February 15, you can start planning ahead for Easter.
Then, the summer breaks down along like this: Beginning (Memorial Day), Middle (Independence Day), End (Labor Day).
Perhaps it is that we have a need to have an ongoing seasonal celebration.
And in Autumn, it starts with October 31 – breezes right through Thanksgiving Day (remember that one? The one with stuffed turkeys and overstuffed newspapers…trumpeting the next day’s christening of the Christmas shopping season) - all the way to New Year’s Day.
Americans love a good holiday. Mother’s Day. Father’s Day. Grandparent’s Day. You name it. We have one for almost every occasion.
Is Halloween the new Christmas? Interesting question. I’ll ponder it some more while I head to the store to pick up some more Milk Duds.
JG
(Source: Yahoo!)
Originally posted 10/25/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment