It’s Raining Again
Fire and Rain
Smoky Mountain Rain
Have you ever stopped to think about how many songs there are about rain?
Purple Rain
Laughter in the Rain
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
I could go on and on. Over the course of the past couple of days, I have thought about rain songs a lot because, well, we’ve had a lot of rain (and a lot of time to think about rain).
There is something comforting about a gentle rain shower or an all-day steady rain. We generally prefer our rain to come in smaller amounts than what we’ve had this week and we prefer they are not accompanied by violent thunder and lightning or the tornado watch that expired in the overnight hours. Still, a gentle rain can be very comforting.
I can still remember being a little shaver riding in the back seat with my parents driving. The sound of their voices, coupled with the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof and the swish swish swish of the windshield wipers would generally put me safely to sleep during a long car trip.
And to this day, if I am driving on a longtrip when a slow steady rain begins to fall, I will generally turn the keys over to Lisa because I know it’s very likely that I will soon be drowsy.
Our house – where sunlight is blocked by trees and rooms are lit by table lamps and not overhead lights – tends to stay dark indoors. So, a rainy day generally translates nicely to a relaxing day to read or take a nap. The only resident who does not seem to prefer precipitation is Roger the Cat. He is bothered by storms and annoyed by the rhythm of the falling rain.
Frequently, when it’s wet outdoors, we’ll open the door for him to go outside and he’ll just look at us with that annoyed, “Can’t you do something about this, Dolt?” look on his face. Sometimes, he will go on outside where he has memorized the few spots around the perimeter of the place that generally stay dry on wet days. More often, he’ll slink back inside and almost utter a ‘Sigh’ with the realization that his idea for outside plans have been curtailed by Mother Nature.
This afternoon, when the clouds finally broke, I could almost see his spirits lift as he could, once again, go outside and explore the surroundings.

I don’t suppose the Rog has a cache of rain songs stored on his kitty iPod. Rather, he just uses to opportunity to sleep and dream of future days when he can, again, frolic in the sunlight.
JG
Question: What is your favorite rain song?
Originally posted 9/18/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment