I was all set to write a different blog for Thanksgiving. I had asked my friends to post some Thanksgiving-related comments via Facebook and I was going to fashion them into some sort of ‘meaning of Thanksgiving’ kind of piece.
Then, in a day, everything changed. Paul had a sick day that turned into a doctor’s visit that turned into an overnight stay at Children’s Hospital. A funny thing happened on the way to Tumblr, right?
He has been having some nasty gastro issues for the last couple weeks that ultimately caused some dehydration. I think his pediatrician would’ve probably would’ve been willing to try to treat the gastro issues elsewhere but the need to pump him full of some IV fluids in a hurry necessitated his overnight stay at Children’s.
As an aside, many of you may know that I worked for three years in the P.R. office at ETCH. I used to write promotional copy that spotlighted the 'caring and dedicated staff’ @ Children’s. But it wasn’t until Lisa and I had kids of our own - and they needed the services at ETCH - that I really realized how true all of those statements were.
And, we experienced that tremendous care again during the last 24 hours.
In fact, I think it was the caring and dedicated nature of his team - and the power of prayer - that got him back on his feet in a hurry.
I think his team also expedited Paul’s release, too. I think they knew it was important that we would have him back with us for the holiday if at all possible rather than us spending Thanksgiving away. At any rate, I want to give a big shout out to his docs and the great nurses on the second floor.
I also want to say 'thanks’ to all those who sent well wishes via Facebook to me, Lisa and to Paul. Lisa’s sisters and my folks were tremendously supportive. Also, at last night’s comedy improv show the show’s 'host,’ his good friend Skylar, mentioned Paul during his final comments at the end of the show and the crowd showed their support. I know Paul hated to miss the show but really appreciated the sentiments.
He also received a number of text messages from many FHS pals who had heard about his malady. We also got a very supportive email from his drama teacher, Ms Mac, and he had a sweet visit from his girlfriend and her dad at the hospital.
In short, we really felt the love and support of our community during the last 24 hours.
I was all ready to write a blog tonight about the 'meaning of Thanksgiving’ and then 'the meaning of Thanksgiving’ hit me in the face. This piece literally wrote itself in the form of the real world drama that played out over the last couple days and the strong sense of support we felt from all those who helped us and sent well-wishes.
Tonight, Lisa and Holly are cooking in the kitchen, listening to music and chattering away. Paul is home and he feels 200% better.
And here I am blogging about the 'meaning of Thanksgiving.’
I think Thanksgiving is about family and friends. It’s about home and hearth. It’s about counting more blessings than you can begin to name.
And tonight, it’s also about a dad who is happy to have everyone healthy and happy and together.
JG
Originally posted 11/23/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment