It’s amazing to me, in this day and age, how often I see people smoking. Fifty years ago? Understandable. In 2011? Not so much.
I don’t mean to generalize but so often I see a group of women outside smoking. For some reason, I find that even more tragic. I’m not sure their smoke break is a method to cope with stress, to self-medicate or if these women find some needed social aspect to it. And not to discriminate, I do wonder about the guys, too.
In any case, I am really struck by the fact that after all the years of all the data about all the bad things that come from smoking, nearly 20 percent (19.3 % to be exact, according to the CDC, 46 million according to the American Cancer Society) of all U.S. adults are smokers.
Today marks the 36th annual American Cancer Society observance of the Great American Smoke-Out. Each year, this day gives smokers an extra excuse to quit. Do it for someone you love. Do it because everyone else is doing it. Do it for yourself. Typically, the GASO falls on the third Thursday of November.
Every year, says the ACS, “the day encourages smokers to use the date to make a plan to quit or to plan in advance to quit smoking that day.”
I mentioned to you in a blog earlier this week that I was at Park West Hospital on Monday. I noticed they had signs posted outside the facility that Park West is now a smoke-free campus. I used to always be struck by how many people were outside hospitals smoking – from staff to patients to visitors.
But on Monday, the air was clear. That was a nice feeling. Wouldn’t you like to experience it yourself?
If you’re a smoker and you are reading my blog, you don’t need me to lecture you about all the reasons you should quit. You’ve probably heard them so many times you can recite them in your sleep. Still, take it from a friendly voice: It would be a really really good thing to do!
In this season of Thanksgiving, can you imagine sitting around the table next week and saying how thankful you are that you quit smoking a week earlier? And can you imagine how thankful your loved ones would also be about that wonderful news?
JG
(Source: cancer.org)
Originally posted 11/17/2011

No comments:
Post a Comment