Sunday, July 25, 2021

Give it up

Presbyterians aren’t generally known for talking a lot about their religious beliefs. But there is one thing about the season of Lent that has always bothered me.

So, here goes. On this Ash Wednesday, I just have to speak out. So now, I’m talking about my religious beliefs!

Part of the modern observance of Lent centers around the notion of giving something up.

Theologically speaking, my understanding is the reason for doing so is that it helps you focus on developing your relationship with God while removing something from your life, for 40 days, that you might tend to focus on instead – desserts, meat, social media…

But in some circles, it has become more like a brag-fest along with other topics:

 “My son is the quarterback on XYZ Youth Football Team!”

“My daugher is an Honors Student!”

“I’m working out. I gave up red meat. I do Pilates. I do extreme workout ABC. AND, I’m doing the (insert name) Diet.”

“I gave up chocolate for Lent.”

Now, as I see it, IF you are giving something up because of religious reverence, then, also, it’s not something you’d call attention to. Right?

Then again, this column is coming from a Presbyterian and we already covered this. We don’t like to push our beliefs on people. And, generally speaking, the notion of ‘giving something up’ isn’t a big part of Presby doctrine.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not opposed to the practice, in general. In fact, I kind of like to see that sort of devotion to something one believes in. But, it’s the bragging thing I just can’t support.

So, if someone asks me, “What are you giving up for Lent?” I usually just stare back.

Of course, now, I’ve devoted this entire blog entry to telling you my religious beliefs on the topic. So, maybe this year, “I gave up silence.”

JG      

(Source: Washington Post)

Originally posted 2/22/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...