Sunday, July 25, 2021

CTE Goes Idol

Back when my son was crooning for his teammates in the baseball dugout, I never realized he had a chance to be a singing star.

On May 4, he gets that chance. That is the date of the countywide CTE Goes Idol singing competition downtown on Market Square.

Paul got to that elite company by winning Farragut High School’s singing competition (“Farragut Idol”) last month. His mother and I were utterly stunned when they called his name as the winner. He didn’t really dress the part. He just wore his trademark blue and white jacket.

He changed his mind about the song he was going to sing over and over until time dictated he could change no more!

Even though he didn’t do any professional-style prepwork, he stepped on the stage and he nailed it that night. And after 29 other contestants – many of whom are extremely talented – he was named “Farragut Idol.”

At that point, we didn’t really know much about the whole county-wide Idol thing. Lisa had some vague memory of last year’s competition. Basically, by virtue of him winning the FHS competition, he now advances to compete county-wide on May 4.

Last week, we all attended an organizational kickoff meeting. It was extremely impressive. The enterprise – titled CTE Goes Idol – is very professional. The Idol competition is one of the county-wide initiatives sponsored by the county’s CTE program (Career and Technical Education).

We met for the parent meeting at Fulton High School (my mom’s alma mater). I can’t remember the last time I was at ‘the other’ FHS, but it was also very impressive. Many Fulton students from CTE courses – ranging from photography and graphic design to cosmotology – support the CTE Goes Idol program as a part of their coursework.

Everything is very well done.

At the kickoff, Paul participated in a professional photo shoot (he opted out of the hair and make-up stop).

image

He was also interviewed by students representing Fulton’s radio station (WKCS). I gather they taped the interviews of the 15 contestants and will air their responses in some upcoming program. Or maybe they’ll do one a day?

The interview segment included three basic questions for each candidate:

  • How has the CTE Goes Idol experience been so far?
  • What type of music inspires you?
  • How does it feel to represent your school?

I know Paul’s answer to that third question is that he is very proud of that honor. And he doesn’t take it lightly. In fact, he told me that his choice of wearing a navy blue sweater for the photo shoot was, in a way, a chance for him to honor Farragut.

He’ll have a larger, more public, opportunity to represent FHS next month. And we’re hoping there’ll be a great turnout from “Admiral Nation” to cheer him on and celebrate yet another tangible example of school pride. I’ll try to write about PG’s experience in this forum a few more times leading up to the event as I learn new details.

In the meantime, Paul will be a part of a series of rehearsals. It is the goal of the CTE Goes Idol team to, again, produce a very professional show and I don’t doubt that they will exceed that goal. Last year’s Idol was amazing.

And, on behalf of at least ONE of this year’s participants, I know he’s hoping this year’s will be even MORE amazing.

JG

Originally posted 4/4/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...