God rest you merry, gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay,
Remember Christ our Saviour
Was born on Christmas Day;
To save us all from Satan’s power
When we were gone astray.
O tidings of comfort and joy,
Comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy!
The Christmas season wouldn’t be the same without the Christmas movies we’ve all come to know and love. Of course, there are the classics, such as “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “White Christmas.” I noticed one of the cable channels was running a “White Christmas” marathon last night.
In the Gary household, we love those classics but we also have our own unique favorites. Or should I say favourites.
You know, at our house, you are fully immersed into the holiday season when the Scottish film “Comfort and Joy” is on.
There is apparently a made for “Lifetime” tv movie with the same title. I don’t know anything about that particular flick. Make no mistake, the one I am writing about today is the Scottish film. The rich, pleasant accents will confirm you have selected it.
This is a quirky story about a Glasgow deejay, Alan “Dicky” Bird, who is reeling from the unexpected break-up of a long term romantic relationship that occurs at the start of the holidays. He still manages to go on the air each day - engaging the local listeners who have come to depend on his morning show for information and entertainment - even though his heart is broken.
After completing his radio shift one day, Mr. Bird stops to buy some sweet treats from a vending van. While making his selection, he stumbles into the middle of a family feud between warring factions of the local ice cream establishment. “All the best families fight,” they tell him.
As the plot unfolds, Dicky works to broker a deal between the two sides and bring everyone back together for a happy ending…just in time for Christmas day.
If you’ve never seen this film, I’d invite you to check it out. It will probably never make a universal Top 10 list of classic Christmas films, but it’s near the top on our list.
And I always know that Christmas is just around the corner when it’s time for “Comfort and Joy.”
JG
(Source: youtube.com)
Originally posted 12/15/2011

No comments:
Post a Comment