We’ve really been enjoying the ABC television show “Pan Am” this fall. Generally, we’re not normally ‘water cooler tv’ types, so this has been a little different for us.
The show is breezy and stylish; it features some colorful characters and its writers are developing interesting storylines. So, we’ve invested the one hour each week for the last couple of months (Sunday at 10 p.m., 9 Central) to develop our affinity for and enjoyment of the show.
I think, initially, one of the reasons we were attracted to the show is because it started not long after our long weekend trip to New York. We took that trip right before school started. That experience was probably as close as we Garys will ever come to ‘jet setting.’ It felt somewhat extravagant to be able to take that trip (although, as I told people at home, we were able to do it because we saved for it, planned for it, and found great deals for it).
Thrifty we are; extravagant…not so much.
Maybe that another thing that has appealed to us about “Pan Am.” It seems like an hour of extravagant escapism to a different place and time.
Sounds like we better enjoy it while it lasts.
I read an article yesterday that “Pan Am” is on the list of shows on the bubble right now. Low ratings have put the show in jeopardy.
I’m not a great decipher of television ratings but some of the latest numbers for the show don’t look good (1.8 rating and 4 share). I became fairly functional with ‘ratings and share’ during my recent media buying days when I was the Director of Marketing and Public Relations at Roane State. But, whether you have a detailed understanding of the concept or not doesn’t really matter. Anything below a two is NOT good.
And It doesn’t take a television executive to tell you that if you are finishing third in a three horse race, as “Pan Am” is consistently doing, that’s not good.
The article I read mentioned “Pan Am” specifically, among other shows. The author suggested ABC might choose to move “Pan Am” to another night and time slot with hopes it may find an audience there. Otherwise, it may be cut like so many unforgettable shows that went before it.
If it DOES go, at least it provided us with a short-term diversion from news, weather and sports. And, maybe we’ll find some other show and develop an interest for it.
Stay tuned.
JG
(Source: abc.go.com)
Originally posted 11/1/2011

No comments:
Post a Comment