Tuesday, July 20, 2021

“Coach” Jeff


I decided on using the word ‘Coach’ in the title of my new blog because it describes so much of what I do AND, at the same time, it reminds me of a very special time in my life.

I’ll come back to the LIFE coaching and BUSINESS coaching in just a second. First, I want to spend a few minutes talking about my 10+ years as a youth baseball coach.

That happy chapter in my life started one day when my son, Paul, was four. He said he wanted to try his hand at playing baseball (I’m not sure he said it exactly like that!). It seemed logical that I would coach his team.

Nearly 11 years later, after our final game under the moniker ‘Concord Choppers,’ we were hoisting a huge trophy on the big field at the Knox County Sportspark as newly minted USSSA champions of Knox County (in the 14-Under age bracket). Truly, this is one of my proudest moments. I think Paul would say the same.

But in between our first experiences of introducing America’s pastime to a dozen pre-schoolers and celebrating a county championship, we experienced a lot of twists and turns along the path of our baseball journey.

There as a winless season (and an undefeated season); there were injuries; family relocations to towns across the state and across the country and a whole lot of living of life played out on the baseball diamond. In all, there were more than 100 youngsters who played on our team and a lot of life lessons taught (and learned).

In short, it was an 11 year period I treasure and wouldn’t trade for any amount of money.

I’m sure that, from time to time, I will write more details about some of our baseball exploits (including that amazing Choppers championship).

But as to the second aspect of the ‘Coach’ metaphor, it seems that the unique manner in which my life has unfolded, I am frequently cast in the role of a sort of LIFE coach or BUSINESS coach.

For example, as a public relations practitioner, I have frequently edited documents or coached other professionals on their writing skills, or how to relate to the media or how to best convey their message in an appropriate medium.

I’m fortunate to have made a good living in this line of work that I enjoy so much.

But it’s not always ‘coaching for pay’ that I seem to be doing. Many of my most important coaching accomplishments have played out at the dinner table, or in the car or during a telephone call. As a big brother, I find myself, occasionally, offering advice to my younger sister that takes the form of coaching (How’s that home repair project coming? Have you considered cutting back on your caffeine intake during the evening? Are you planning to set up a 401K?).

Further, as a dad, I am constantly coaching my son or daughter as they make important decisions that mark their growth and development as young adults. 

Perhaps it is the ability to do this type of coaching that is the most important of all. 

JG

(Source: knoxnews.com)

Originally Posted 9/20/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...