Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Class Reunion Musings…

I’ve been thinking a lot about class reunions this week. My wife and I both graduated from high school the same year.

What are the odds that our reunions would be held at the same time, on the same night - go figure.

We opted to go to Lisa’s reunion tonight. She has a friend in the class who has battled illness and I think it meant a lot to Lisa to go see her pal. I was on board with that. After all, one of the schools had to win this contest - which reunion to attend - so her’s wins on a very understandable tiebreaker.

It was fun for me to watch Lisa and her classmates renew acquaintances. Lots of hugs. Maybe a few tears. A ton of laughs.

We sat at a table with three of her closest high school friends. It was very enjoyable for me to watch them enjoying spending the time together to catch up.

As for my reunion - the one we missed - there was lots of excitement building throughout the week as the date drew near. Many of my classmates have been posting photos, greetings and well wishes throughout the week. I saw some names I recognized from days gone by; I saw other names I didn’t really remember at all. I wonder if I had classes with some of them (I probably did) or if I sat near them in the school lunchroom (very likely) and if the traditional high school social structure kept many of us apart (undoubtedly).

Sad to say, there were some names that weren’t mentioned at all over the course of the last few weeks - the ones of classmates who passed away much too early. I noticed at Lisa’s reunion, there was a table dedicated to her classmates who had died.

As for my reunion, I have to say one small factor that nudged me toward attending Lisa’s reunion instead of mine is that none of my closest friends were planning to come to our’s. I sent some emails in the weeks leading up to the event trying to drum up some interest.

One friend was quite sure that he had no interest in attending; another replied that he had been very excited about coming to the reunion but that he had an unavoidable business conflict. Some didn’t reply.

Still, if I had gone to mine, I’m sure my classmates would have been warm and welcoming even if my close buddies weren’t there.

In fact, I came away from the entire process feeling good about the contacts I have made and acquaintances I have renewed. I hope to make it to my next reunion.

During the days leading up to this one, I got some very nice notes from fellow classmates who were sad that I would be missing (though they fully understood the reasoning). The good news is I added a few Facebook friends over the course of the last week or so and I am hoping that many of us will all stay in touch.

Maybe we won’t wait 10 years until the next reunion?

When we do come together again, perhaps some of my close pals will be able to attend. And, if not, I am glad to say that I’ll be happy to spend some time with many of the new friends I’ve added.

JG

Originally posted 9/24/2011


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...