Sunday, July 25, 2021

Blogging about Blogs

My friend, Ed, asked me the other day if I was ‘still supporting the blog.’ I assured him that I was still writing – 4 or 5 times a week, schedule permitting.

I’m really enjoying the writing and I hope those of you reading are enjoying it as well.

Ed’s question started me thinking about blogs and I came to the conclusion that I read at least a dozen or so blogs on a somewhat regular basis. Here are some of my favorites:

The associate pastor at our church writes a very nice blog that I read whenever I can. She has some good thoughts and she does a very nice job expressing them.

My sister has also started a blog and I think she is enjoying putting down her thoughts relating to being a young mother and sharing some experiences of watching her two little girls growing up. I hope she continues to update her site!

Two friends of mine from grad school days have been some health-related issues (you guys know who you are and if you’re reading, here’s a ‘shout out’ to you). They use their blogs as a way to express what is going on related to their medical situations and to update friends and family. I think it is also a way for them to deal with the emotions related to what they’ve been dealing with.

Another friend writes on his religious/political beliefs; sadly another family I know has a blog to honor a deceased family member.

On a lighter note, on the sports-front, David O’Brien (known to his regular blog readers as ‘DOB’) – the Atlanta Braves beat writer does a nice job of covering the Braves and some of the most comprehensive information you can find about the ballclub is what he includes in his blog. O’Brien is a huge music fan, too, and he often concludes his piece with the lyrics to a song that has some relevance to what he has just written. Or, sometimes he posts the lyrics to a song that he has recently been enjoying…or something that pertains to a place he has just been (or where he will be).

I would also love to read Buster Olney’s baseball blogs on ESPN, but I’m too chincey to shell out the amount of cash it would take to be an insider! Anyway, I am most interested in reading about the Bravos and O’Brien covers them superbly.

Interestingly, many of DOB’s musical tastes coincide with those of my daughter. We often talk about what O’Brien has written in his most recent blog and she always wants to know what musical piece he has quoted that day. Often, she’ll say “Oh, I love that song.” Or she’ll give me some background about the piece - “That song is from XYZ band’s first album, titled _____ (insert title).”

Speaking of Holly, she introduced me to ‘tumblr’ and she maintains a blog on this site as well. Frequently, she posts interesting thoughts or photos that have caught her eye.

These are some of my favorite blogs. I read many others – pertaining to sports, entertainment or politics. Sometimes those features entertain me; at other times they give me ideas for topics I’d like to cover.

They told us back in journalism school that the first step toward becoming a good writer was to become a good reader. I fully believe that is true.

JG

Question of the Day: Do you blog. If so, what is the topic of your blog?

Bonus Question of the Day: Do you have a favorite blog you read regularly?

Originally posted 4/10/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...