Monday, July 26, 2021

As easy as Un, Deux, Trois…

Back when I executed a picture-perfect campaign to become President of the FHS French Club (ok…so there were no other candidates, actually), I sort of became the chief francophone advocate in the senior class.

We spearheaded Foreign Language week. Throughout the year, we sponsored a number of French candy sale fundraisers after school in the Commons and I usually set ‘em up. I also led French club meetings where we discussed French culture and history. One of our topics for discussion, as I recall, was Bastille Day.

image

Mademoiselle, our French teacher, had this dramatic musical rendition of the French revolution on LP. I remember she offered to make cassette recordings for anyone interested. I took her up on the offer. Aside from the drama of the history playing out in the French musical, it was very good music. I enjoyed it.

Now, fast-forward just a few years and, even as we speak, young Holly Gary is celebrating Bastille Day in France.

Who knew all of this would grow out of that childhood moment where my cousin Mike, who is 10 years older than me, taught me how to count en français: Un, Deux, Trois.

She said that some of her friends were going to go into town to enjoy some of the festivities culminating with a fireworks exhibition at night; the end of the celebration of the national holiday. Bastille Day, of course, remembers the storming of that fortress that began the French Revolution. This history is highlighted in the words of the French National Anthem, La Marsaillaise.

Holly reported that on campus yesterday, they did some classwork to mark the occasion. At the end of class, they all sang another national song, Douce France.

Yet another highlight will come, soon, when the riders of La Tour de France come through town. She continues to experience one amazing thing after another.

Timing as they say, is everything - as easy as un, deux, trois…

JG

(Source: timeanddate.com)

Originally posted 7/14/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...