Thursday, July 22, 2021

About Cyrano…

Farragut High School Drama is halfway through its run of “Cyrano de Bergerac.” I’m writing to tell you - acknowledging all parental biases - that if you haven’t had a chance to attend the show, you’ll be giving yourself a treat if you do.

The Saturday night performance is at 7:30 (you can set the DVR for the Vols game or the World Series) and there is a Sunday matinee at 3:00.

Folks, it’s a great show.


Like most Americans, I’ve seen the movie “Roxanne.” When Paul told me the play is really nothing like that movie, I was somewhat dubious. But, of course, he was spot on. While there are some subtle reminders of the Steve Martin 1987 comedy, the play and the story are quite different.

I won’t give away any plot details. I’m just saying, if you aren’t planning to come because you already saw the movie, you’ll be cheating yourself. And if you ARE coming expecting the movie, wipe away those expectations. And if you are a classic movie buff, and you HAVE seen the 1950 film starring Jose Ferrar, well, then come anyway!

Again, ackowledging all biases, it has been amazing to watch all these young actors put their time and energy - as well as their heart and soul - into this pursuit. Clearly, the theatre is a passion for these FHS students, cast and crew alike. And under the guidance and direction of FHS theatre teacher Lea McMahan, what they have produced is wonderful.

So, come on out. You’ll spend a wonderful evening enjoying this show and watching some passionate and talented teens in action.

JG

Originally posted 10/22/2011



No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...