Thursday, January 26, 2023

Things I’ve Been Thinking

In the midst of a hectic, crazy couple of weeks, I have paused at various times to, as Holly Gary puts it, “Think some thoughts.” In the past I have written here about such pursuits.

Here are some things I am thinking this week:

Cry Me A
As the tense situation between Russia and Ukraine continues to play out on the international stage, one thing has become apparent – TV Journalists have a tough time pronouncing the disputed region in question. I don’t mean to be overly critical of broadcasters but, honestly, this morning, I heard one guy call it Crilimnea. More often than not, I hear Kremeea (pronounced in a similar fashion to Kremlin…ironically).

Instead, it should be Cry Me A (as in the old song Cry Me A River). No producers or copywriters seem correct the recurring error. Crimea. It’s a simple concept.

Spring Break
With two empty nester parents at home, Spring Break is officially no longer ‘a thing’ at our house. We never really did any of the grand trips you hear some folks talk about. Still, we’d frequently take a weekend trip to some interesting destination.

Just another tangible example of how little things change over time.

March Sadness
It’s an annual ritual of the third month in the calendar year – like birds singing and buds bursting in the trees. The annual ritual: “We wuz robbed!”

I was very happy that my two favorite college basketball teams – the UT Vols and the Memphis Tigers – were both invited to The Big Dance.

image

The NC2A invite lost a little steam around Vol Nation, today, when the news broke about former Vols’ Coach Bruce Pearl being hired to become the men’s head basketball coach at Auburn. I think all along there was a contingent of Vols’ fans hoping the University would eventually hire back their former coach.

But, all across the country, there are hoop-related complaints of various sorts. If it isn’t about coaches or coaching, it is about the tourney itself. This team was seeded too high; this team was seeded too low. There were a few ‘lead pipe lock’ teams that were even left out of the field of 68 altogether.

You know what strikes me? We have the same conversation every year. On the CBS selection show, some analyst will ask some selection committee chairman the following questions:

  • You seeded (insert name of team) too (insert high/low).  Can you explain the committee’s rationale?
  • Why didn’t the committee include (insert name of team) in the field of 68?
  • Can you explain why (insert name of team) didn’t (insert buzzword)?

This year’s phrase was “Pass the Eye Test.” In past years, you’ve heard buzz words like “Power Conference,” “At Large Bid” or “RPI.“

Anyway, mark my words…what I’m thinking is we’ll have the same discussion about this time next year.

JG

Originally posted 3/18/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...