Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Frog and Toad

Tonight in Murfreesboro, the musical “A Year with Frog and Toad” opens at the Tucker Theatre at MTSU with Paul playing the role of Toad.

I won’t be there in person, unfortunately, but I will be there in spirit. I texted him good wishes today (“Break legs…toad legs, that is!”) and I’ll look forward to seeing the show this weekend.

Meanwhile, I will ask that the folks at MTSU forgive me for borrowing a jpg to show you what the promotional poster looks like. Maybe it will help you decide to go see the show this weekend!

image

Anyway, some background about the show: the musical was penned by Robert and Willie Reale and was based on the children’s stories about Frog & Toad. Those books were written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel.

I think this is a perfect ‘break-out’ role for Paul as he begins his college career.

Thing is, he had excellent practice when he was in high school.  As a member of Farragut’s signature Comedy Improv Team, one of Paul’s specialties was playing the roles of various animals.

One of my favorites – on display in the game ‘Party Quirks’ – was when he came on stage in the persona of Smokey Bear. He was a great Smokey. He perfectly mimicked the mannerisms of a bear and he nailed the imitation of the voice.

Over the course of his FHS Improv career, Paul also portrayed a raptor, a whale, a parrot and various felines. He did them well. I have no doubt that he will nail the portrayal of a toad.

JG

Originally posted 11/6/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...