Sunday, January 22, 2023

Coffee Break

I’m sorry. I’m just not a fan of coffee.

People offer me cups of java all the time and I politely say “No thanks. I’m good.” No one really wants to hear you say “I’m sorry. I just don’t like the stuff.”

It’s a shame, too, because coffee is so ingrained in our culture. There is coffee hour at church; a minor league player promoted to the majors for a brief period of time is said to have been in the majors for a ‘cup of coffee.’ Everyone seems to take a coffee break.

Anyone ever hear of a 'Diet Coke break?’

And since my unfortunate meeting with the kidney stone over the summer, I’ve even given that up. Now, it’s mostly straight H2O all the way. And the only time guys take a 'water break’ is if they are playing a strenuous competitive sport like football.

I’m not playing a competitive sport like football.

So, I’m left to my own devices when politely turning down cups of coffee or skipping coffee breaks. I make do.

Still, coffee is just a fact of life. You notice it, especially, on television. Think of the 'friends’ and how they hung out in the coffee shop. Also, remember to all the family sitcoms and how often they had key conversations at the kitchen table, coffee in-hand.

Then there are the tv commercials:

  • Good to the Last Drop
  • Fill it to the Rim
  • Best Part of Waking Up

image

Growing up in the tv age, I tried to like the stuff. I really did. But after a while I noticed that, in order to enjoy it, I had to swirl in way too much sweetener and creamer. At that point, it’s hardly coffee at all.

And, my lack of appreciation for a 'cup of joe’ is a real shame.

Thing is, it is a very important part of our family history. My dad and all his siblings swear by the stuff; his dad was noted for making very rich, very strong coffee.

They all enjoyed a cup. Or three.

Just not me. 

I don’t mind that you all enjoy the brew. I’ve just never been able to cultivate a taste for it. Mind you - I love the aroma. When you go into one of those popular, high priced coffee shoppes, the smell is very pleasant. I wish, somehow, an inventor could take the scent, bottle it and find a way to market it.

That beverage would have a heavenly taste.

JG

Originally posted 10/17/2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...