Sunday, January 22, 2023

A one, A two, A three

My sister and her family are at Wrigley Field tonight for the Cubs-Marlins game and, I must admit, I’m envious.

Who wouldn’t want to be at Wrigley Field?

Who wouldn’t want to ride the El to Wrigleyville? Who wouldn’t want to sit behind the ivy covered outfield walls? Who wouldn’t want to sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” as some celeb leads the crowd a la Harry Caray?

I’m sure Lisa and her family will have a blast. (Last time I checked, the game was tied 1-1 in the 6th).

I’m also sure it is much warmer for their visit than it was the two times I took my family to that venerable baseball shrine at the corner of Clark and Addison.

Like our recent trip to San Francisco, we took an early vacation the two years we visited Chicago. The first time we went to a Cubs game, we saw the Cubs play the Reds on a very raw, rainy late May day.

image

We sat in the outfield bleachers (actually you can see where we sat just behind my left shoulder in this photo) and kept ducking down into the left field catacombs during the rain delays.

I remember we were sitting in ‘the family section’ (no alcohol sales) and there were a few rowdies who were fairly disappointed when they found out this news.

By the time the second delay was over, the crowd had thinned greatly and the ushers were fine about letting us relocate to an area that was under cover. Maybe because they were used to the colder weather, the hearty Cubs were able to outlast the Reds by the score of 4-2 on that day.

A year later, our game was played on a sunny day. Our seats were higher up (down the right field line) and the wind blowing in off Lake Michigan was quite stout and I’m sure the wind chill factor dropped the temperatures into the 40s despite the sun.

The Cubs’ opponents on that day was the Pittsburgh Pirates. The game was actually a part of a day-night double header. Aided by numerous wind-blown hits, the Pirates creamed the Cubs 12-1.

For our second visit, everyone attending the game received the gift of a Sammy Sosa book. I remember Sosa being cheered by the folks sitting with us out in right field.

So, in two trips to Wrigley, we saw the Cubbies win a game and we saw them lose a game. We sang twice (I don’t remember who led us in song). I do remember we were bundled up twice.

Most importantly, we had great fun twice.

I hope my sister has the same outcome tonight – win or lose. As for me, the next time I venture to Wrigleyville, I just hope it’s a bit warmer.

JG 

Originally posted 7/18/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...