I told you some months ago about the great big box in the basement of my house (a.k.a. “The Man Cave”).
Well, while Paul was away at Governor’s School, the great big box became part of one week’s recyclables haul! Even broken down, it came close to filling out bin all by itself.
Anyway, since he was coming home this week, I had to confess to him during one of our weekly phone conversations that the box was no more; gone; kaput; finis!
For a while, he and Holly both had suggested they’d like to have a pool table in our downstairs. When we were on vacation last July at the Outer Banks, there was a game room at our resort. It featured many arcade-style games and it also had a pool table. Shooting pool became a fun activity during our 2011 vacation.

Having cleared out at least 100 square feet of floor space (OK, so I’m exaggerating!), that paved the way for us to consider the idea right here back at home.
Then, in a great stroke of luck, one of my high school buddies posted online that he had a pool table he was looking to get rid of. Lisa and I went over to his condo one night this week and made the deal. When I was traveling to Murfreesboro on Thursday I told Paul the good news (and we also emailed the news to Holly).
When we were at Rob’s, we also made plans to pick up the table, which we did today.
Of course, moving a pool table is no small feat. For that task, Paul recruited some of HIS high school pals. Nothing like letting the next generation do the heavy lifting.
To be fair, I also let them play the ceremonial first game. It’s a great, fun, indoor activity and a way to stay out of the heat. Looked like, and sounded like, they had a lot of fun, too.
In the musical, “The Music Man,” Prof. Hill warns the good citizens of River City about the trouble that can be caused when teens spend their time playing pool.
But here, there’s no trouble at all.
JG
Originally posted 6/30/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment