Last week, I was chatting with a dear person who was very unhappy. That person was kind of floundering and just really needed some help but I wasn’t sure I was able to do much good.
I tried. Boy did I try.
Remember that early blog where I talked about my earlier role as ‘Coach Jeff?’ Well, I was doing my best coaching motivational job possible. “Win one for the Gipper?” No, I didn’t go that far, but I was definitely trying my best to coach him/her through a very rough spot.
I had a couple conversations with him/her and it seemed like there were many things going on that had dragged the person down (I use the “him/her” and generic term “person” on the off chance that some day, he/she might stumble upon this blog and the last thing I would want to do is embarass someone).
I’m not pop psychologist; I don’t even play one on t.v. But, it seemed to me that all the stressors in this person’s life were external and he/she was also looking externally to try to find happiness. But, when asked, what I tried to convey is that I think TRUE happiness comes from within.
My advice was for this person to try to take some tangible steps to improve their circumstances. What could he/she do?
Get involved. Volunteer for a cause - church, school, community.
Begin an exercise program.
Start a household project.
Find a new hobby.
Do some networking.
Update the resume.
Pray.
My list went on and on. At the heart of it, I was really just telling this person to start moving. If you sit - and wallow - nothing good can come of it. If you worry, that’s even worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment