At times, it seems like I am the personal public relations professional representing my son. And that’s ok. I’m BOTH P.R. and proud papa.
There’s a lot of good news to report.
And coming home from the weekend’s The Tennessee High School Speech and Drama League (THSSDL) competition at Collierville High School (near Memphis), I am both a proud pop and a proud alumnus. It was a good weekend for Farragut’s theatre program.
Farragut’s Forensics Team - meaning drama and speech and not CSI-stuff – did quite well this weekend.
Rachael MacLean won 1st Place and is State Champion in Costume Design. The play she designed for was “The Taming of the Shrew."
Meanwhile, Paul won 1st Place and is Tennessee State Champion in Storytelling. His story was “The Night the Bed Fell” by James Thurber.

Dallas Marable and Brian Hooyman won 3rd Place in Duet Acting. Sherridan Smee and Connor Hess won 5th Place in Duet Acting. Bridget Sellers competed in Solo Acting and Skylar Grieco competed in Impromptu Speaking.
In the category of interp theatre, "Tangled” won 7th Place and was the only student-directed play or interp that qualified for State Competition. THSSDL has more than 100 member schools from across the state.
My impressions from the weekend:
- Even though I consider West TN home, I had never been to Collierville High School. It is very nice. Very impressive.
- Equally (if not if not more) impressive was the collection of some of Tennessee’s brightest and most talented young people. It’s fun to see them honing their craft on a much larger stage. And so many of them did so well.
- This weekend’s experience brought the FHS kids closer together. It was great to see the level of camaraderie – and the sense of community.
Win, place or show, that’s a prize they’ll be able to keep forever!
JG
Originally posted 4/23/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment