Drama. Drama. Drama.
The other day, I overheard a lady telling her friend that her boyfriend had broken up with her. She was all weepy. A few days earlier, she was telling the same friend about how WONDERFUL things with her boyfriend. She was all giddy.
The week before…
Well, you get the idea.
Drama. Drama. Drama.
Frequently, it seems, I encounter people who ‘do Drama’ (and I’m not talking about the kind that unfolds on the stage). My definitition of this phenomenon is someone who seems to bounce from crisis to crisis. They can’t seem to (or just won’t) take proactive steps to avoid these fiascos. In some cases, it seems they almost thrive on the experience and, later, in recounting the experience for anyone who will listen.
And, that seems to be a part of it. These Drama Queens (or Drama Kings) seem to want to get anyone involved in these situations as possible. Misery, it seems, loves company.
Myself, I’m not frequently drawn to drama, so I find it curious how many people seem to be.
Whether it’s at the water cooler at work; the weird neighbor down the block or someone you know personally, it seems like there is an overabundance of drama everywhere.
I wonder, at times, if our propensity for drama doesn’t drive the current popularity of reality shows. Aren’t those, really, made for tv drama? Aren’t those THIS generation’s versions of soap operas (and weren’t those also known as ‘daytime drama?’). Instead of focusing on our solving our real problems, we watch someone else’s drama play out on tv.
Is this a response to the turbulent times we live in - with rising gas prices and sinking optimism. Do these folks enter the world of mini catastrophes as a sort of escapism?
I’m not sure about that.
Folks drawn to drama, it seems to me, have lost the roadmap to true happiness. Instead, they focus on matters that just don’t bring personal fulfillment. You can’t find happiness in the search for the ‘next big thing’ (a major purchase, a special event, etc.). In general, the acquisition of material possessions only brings about a momentary boost. Then, reality returns and you’re just right back where you started (only with less money in the bank account).
Recently, someone asked me for advice about rising above this sort of malaise. It seems like I get these kinds of queries from people. Maybe it is because I’m NOT drawn to drama. Or maybe I have a friendly face!
My basic answer is to find something positive and productive to focus on rather than dwelling on drama. My list went something like this:
- Volunteerism – Find a cause you believe in and volunteer your time
- Projects – Walk around your home and lawn and find some things you’d like to improve. Maybe it’s something like the minor landscaping like my family just did or some other sort of home improvement project
- Hobby – Find a new interest; learn a foreign language, join a club, follow your passion
- Finances – Get yourself into long-range financial planning (including a plan for retirement)
- Exercise – Begin an exercise program (after running your plan by your physician)
But, ALAS, if you’re prone to drama, I suspect none of those suggestions sound very exciting. I guarantee you, though, they’re much more productive!
JG
Originally posted 3/24/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment